1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Really mean chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WendySA, Nov 17, 2008.

1. WendySA

WendySA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2008
    South Africa
    :(We have had to introduce a new hen to our coup. We had 4 then we gave the one very broody one back and 2 days later got a replacement.

Said replacement is having a hard time...my other three ladies are being really mean and won't let her move from the corner. Everytime she does they peck her. We are having to sneak her food so that they don't peck her then too.

When we let them out they are fine together, it's really just in the coup where they spend the majority of their day.

Does anyone have any words of advice or encouragement...this has been going on for 2.5 days now.

Thanks!

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    It will probably take a few weeks for the pecking order to establish, They have to hatch it out. I would make sure she is not getting injured by the others daily and be bale to place her somewhere else if she is getting hurt. Minor pecks are normal when introducing new chickens to the flock. One thing you need to be aware of tho is quarentine ANY new birds for 30 days before you put them in with the rest of the flock to make sure the new one isn't ill.

3. BethinIrving

BethinIrving Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    I always make sure to get birds in twos if I don't buy several at the same time. I only had to experience one full blown bird revolt before I learned a loner bird remains a loner all it's life.

We never had any luck getting the hens to accept birds that weren't from their own flock.

4. WendySA

WendySA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2008
    South Africa
    Thanks for the replies.

I wish I had space for more than this additional one but 4 is our capacity. We are watching that she is not being hurt and making sure she gets ample food.

We will watch how things develop and if it doesn't work we will give her back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by