Really mean rooster!

We have acquired a really really mean rooster from a guy that posted on the local social media group here that said he had purchased what he was told were all females but one grew up to be a rooster. The rooster is one year old he said and I suspect that the truth is that he didn't want him because he's extraordinarily mean!
My question is, is there any way to change his horribly mean behavior? I have tried being nice to him and not squirting him with the hose like the lady who owns the chickens told me to do to keep him from attacking but being nice to him absolutely does not work! Any suggestions? He's really really really mean and sneaks up behind you if you take your attention off of him for even one second and attacks viciously!
Sounds like Sunday dinner. That's where mine ended up

Good job! I'da thought Stu/stew would have wound up being just that in the end. Glad to hear a success story for a change when it comes to dealing with roosters.

I've said this before, but a mean aggressive rooster, or any other critter for that matter, just isn't worth it. You can buy a LOT of feed for the cost of just one trip to the ER.

I've said this before, but a mean aggressive rooster, or any other critter for that matter, just isn't worth it. You can buy a LOT of feed for the cost of just one trip to the ER.
While I agree with you, we all have different tolerance levels of what we'll put up with in an animal. Mine has gotten really short.

A YEAR in the clink? How does that even work? Forgive me, I am new -- but you keep the rooster in a dog crate in the run FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR? That is patience like you read about!

A YEAR in the clink? How does that even work? Forgive me, I am new -- but you keep the rooster in a dog crate in the run FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR? That is patience like you read about!
Hopefully if the rooster is being kept separate for a year, it would be kept in something bigger than a dog crate. In a separate pen, perhaps.

I assume you are referring to me? I have bigger pens, or am able to set them up whenever I need to. Mine are never kept in a crate.

Back
Top Bottom