Really Need advice on Baby Goat

hollymh

*A Scrambled Egg*
15 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Texas
Ive tried Backyardherds with no luck, so Im trying here. This is Maizey and she came from a bad situation, I couldn't leave her there. This is my first time owning goats so Im not seasoned yet. She has a funny walk and a large belly(in my opinion), looks like a possible healed injury on her leg??She isnt in pain, seems simply clumsy. Im not worried about the way she looks, just quality of life and if she can potentially be a milk goat in the future? I have vaccinated, dewormed(9 days ago), started them on minerals, good goat feed, free choice hay, pasture grazing in dry pasture, provided probiotics, and offered baking soda. I didnt find out until after I took them, they got chicken feed for food and he had just pulled them off mom that day. Is her belly really distended and should I be concerned about her leg? Thank you thank you!

Video here:

So far your doing everything correctly with the feed and worming. Her health will improve with the goat chow. it wouldn't hurt to have a vet check her out and have a stool sample done. Good luck with your goat baby

Do you know how old these kids are? And, how long have you had them - the nine days?

The belly does look big... does it go up and down? Check it first thing in the morning. If it's down in the morning but big at night, it's probably her rumen. What did you use for worming? I can suggest Cydectin, Ivermectin, and maybe Valbazen. Does she have any diarrhea or is the stool normal?

The walk does not seem real horrible to me, but if you say she has a scar there, that could explain it. As long as she can get around, eat normally, she will be able to be a dairy goat. The next question would be, how good of a dairy goat, but she should be able to do that no problem.

Good luck with them!

She looks a bit bloated to me. Could just be from all the good feed. Be careful with not giving her too much grain at first since she's not used to it. Lots of hay in good. If she wasn't on grass before, a lot of grass can bloat them. If she's eating and pooping normal pellets, she's OK. Grinding teeth is a sign of pain you can watch for. Legs look stiff. It wouldn't hurt to give some selenium and vitamin e gel from tractor supply. Lack of selenium can cause weak muscles.

How old is she and was she around a buck? That'd be your next concern.

Make sure you have free choice minerals and baking soda out as well in case she wants them :)

I have a nanny goat with a very very large rumen- she is not pregnant. However her belly is super jiggly...your goat looks like it's stomach is pretty firm from the video. Could she possibly be pregnant?

Omg! She looks prego! How old is she and was she exposed to a buck? See if you can feel movement.

she is 10wks, was mixed in with bucks, bucklings and does. No movement

Make sure you have free choice minerals and baking soda out as well in case she wants them :)

I have a nanny goat with a very very large rumen- she is not pregnant. However her belly is super jiggly...your goat looks like it's stomach is pretty firm from the video. Could she possibly be pregnant?

I have the minerals and baking soda in with their feed, is that ok? I can free choice them in their pen if that is more ideal, I was just worried they wouldn't eat them otherwise.

She looks a bit bloated to me. Could just be from all the good feed. Be careful with not giving her too much grain at first since she's not used to it. Lots of hay in good. If she wasn't on grass before, a lot of grass can bloat them. If she's eating and pooping normal pellets, she's OK. Grinding teeth is a sign of pain you can watch for. Legs look stiff. It wouldn't hurt to give some selenium and vitamin e gel from tractor supply. Lack of selenium can cause weak muscles.

How old is she and was she around a buck? That'd be your next concern.

When you say grain, do you mean the goat pellets or are there grains I buy separately? She is 10wks now, 8wks when I got her, and was in a pen with bucks and bucklings. I have regular vit E and Selenium from my chickens, can I just crush that up and drench her or should I got for the gel at TSC? I give her and her pen mate from the same herd free choice on their pellets, should I back off that? Thank you all so much for the help! I am so confident with my chickens, but the goats are new and slightly scary!

Do you know how old these kids are? And, how long have you had them - the nine days?

The belly does look big... does it go up and down? Check it first thing in the morning. If it's down in the morning but big at night, it's probably her rumen. What did you use for worming? I can suggest Cydectin, Ivermectin, and maybe Valbazen. Does she have any diarrhea or is the stool normal?

The walk does not seem real horrible to me, but if you say she has a scar there, that could explain it. As long as she can get around, eat normally, she will be able to be a dairy goat. The next question would be, how good of a dairy goat, but she should be able to do that no problem.

Good luck with them!

I dewormed with valbazen only, I didnt know you could use more than one at a time, can you. Ive had them 2wks tmrw, they were 8wks when I got them. Her belly is smaller in the morning, larger in the evening, and soft, not hard, she doesn't react when I palpate it, Normal solid stool, healthy appetite, loves my rose trimmings(read they could have them). She had a small dry cough when she first got here, but the sibling goat did not, and it went away with no other symptoms, I read not to jump to treating a minor cough unless there are other symptoms. Other than her big belly and the lameness she is very sweet, and always grazing on something.

I just noticed you're in Mora! I drive through there every year on my way to visit family in Angel Fire :) Such a pretty place! I

If it's bloat, be sure to scale back on rich hay and legumes. Offer more roughage, if possible.

But I am not so sure it's actually bloat....I have a cull doe (old goat I bought for almost nothing) who has a big belly especially after eating. And she has a stiff lame leg like your little goat too, as a matter of fact! What I think, is that she must have eaten something... plastic, whatever before I got her and she has a permanent bulge in her belly. None of the bloat stuff or rumen treatments worked for her, but she doesn't seem to be suffering at all.

If you can rule out pregnancy (remotely possible at this age but not probable), I would just give her a good non-bloaty diet and take a wait and see approach. Definitely don't give her any kind of grain....the goat chow probably contains quite a bit of grain; check the ingredients!

Back
Top Bottom