Really NEED your advice......don't know what to do.

shannonb

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Adel, IA
Well tonight I saw another egg about to be broken, most of the shell was cracked off and the sac (don't know what else to call it) was black. Does this just mean another rotten egg? I took it out, obviously, before it broke open and really smelled.

Does this mean ALL her eggs are bad? How can I possibley tell if ANY of them are good?

She looks good, minus the feathers on her tummy are gone, and when I got home today she was outside drinking and eating and by the time I left (20 minutes) she was back on her nest. She is dry and there is no more wetness in the nest....I check it EVERY day and today changed out the hay real quick and put some SAFE stall dry down in it (under the hay) and quick put the eggs back before she caught me : ) So her nest and nest area is completely dry. Thank goodness I caught this one before it broke open. Yuck - that would have been another mess.

According to my calculations - this weekend will be around 21-23 days.....do I just forget it? Is there ANY way to tell for sure if there are LIVE chicks in any of the eggs?

Sorry so long - I just don't know what to do. I don't want to give up, but I don't think it's looking good. All the eggs that are in there were dark when I candled them....starting with a small spot and growing. I didn't have the guts to break open the one that I found tonight.

Thank you.

You need to candle the eggs. You should be able to see movement if they are alive.

Don't let the rotten one scare you. That happens from time to time.

When I am out in the coop, and have no way to candle the eggs, I simply give them the sniff test. I usually candle on days 7, 14, and 18. After that a quick sniff will rule out any stinkers
wink.png

If they are close to the hatch date, i would just wait and see what happens. Make sure she is protected from the others because sometimes the other hens will kill new chicks.

Hope you get some cute new babies soon
fl.gif

If you candle the eggs at this stage the eggs will be mostly black but you should be able to see veining and perhaps some movement. If they dont smell, I'd leave them in there.

good luck

Maybe I'll justhave to keep checking them and candle one more time like you all suggested. I can't really do the sniff test, because of that one that broke the first time - she still smells a little bit and sitting on them she has made them all have just a titch of odor. Maybe I could shake them and see if I get movement:lol: - TOTALLY KIDDING!!!!

I plan on washing her with dawn.....but since she is completely dry and fluffy now with no crud on her I figured I wouldn't stress her out anymore than she already is.

I was looking at someone else's post with their hen and little chicks sticking out under them and was actually jealous!!! How awful. I just want at least one or two live ones. I can't believe my rooster didn't have some effect with these hens.....he sure does his business quite often - if you know what I mean
wink.png

Thanks everyone...I'll just keep checking each day for broken ones and clean IMMEDIATELY and THOROUGHLY no matter if that puts her off or not.

Back
Top Bottom