Really pissed off at local vets

nightshade

Songster
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Jonestown Pa , Columbia County
Okay so it's been a really long 24 hours. To make a long story short I got home from my grams last night after midnight. And went out to check on my animals. I just bought a peacock at market yesterday and wanted to make sure it was settled in okay. Our goats area also sleeping at night in the hen house cause we have had a coyote pack coming in really close to the house lately.

I go in and out little boy Ed has his muzzle scrapped open and a mess of the hide is missing. No big deal I have wound stuff around the house at all times cause Dh has hunting dogs and heaven knows they are always into something lol. I figured he seen something outside the chainlink fence run that looked yummy and got hsi nose caught trying to get it. Anyways I shine the flashlight at him to get a better look at the damage and his eyes reflected back WHITE. At the point I screamed for Dh cause I knew what that ment and rushed over to my little boy. Sure enough he had also scrached both of his eyes to the point where he couldn't see.

So we flush them out, cleaned the wound on his muzzel and put onyx wound ointment on it for the night. Agreeing that we will call the vets office in the morning. This is where the story gets aggrevating.

I stayed up til 5 am with Ed cause he is our pet and like one of my dogs to me. I grabbed an hour's worth the sleep a shower and then went back to babysitting him til offiices started opening at 7:30. I called 6 local vets offices and no one would see him cause he is a goat. Then one office within 50 miles of us that has large animal vets (3 of them) had none in the office today. But the receptionest was nice enough to inform me if I just wanted to just bring him down they could call one in. That it would be $100 extra fee to call them in since they weren't there and it would also be an emergency visit and thats also an extra $100 since its a livestock animal. $200 before the vet even looks at him! :thun Or I could try to get someone else. But they would not be able to get me a regular office appointment this week. If I found no one else by friday and it had not cleared up by then call them and they would BOOK me an emergency appointment. You have got to be f*****g kidding me! I say okay hang up and burst into tears for about 20mins.

It has not been my week. Just to give you an idea last Thursday I had a beautiful kitten die in my bathroom in a freek drowning in the toilet accident. Saturday the new goat I just bought Tuesday at market as a buddy for Ed got his ear id tag he came with snagged and ripped it out cutting his ear in two. Monday my other house cat got hit by a car in our driveway! Luckly he lived and was not seriously hurt just sore. And now he I sit with a little goat that is very very dear to me, hurt pretty bad I think and I can not find a vet in 50 miles that will help him.
hit.gif

So I call all over and every feed store says well thats the only place to take goats in the area cause no one wants to work on goats. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

My hubby's bestfriends wife works as a vet tech so she could look at him and tell us how bad it really is but she can't get him any meds or anything like that. So we go to the local tractor supply wait in line for 30 mins to talk to some one.( I am nearly in tears the whole time) Get a very nice lady who we explain the sisuation to and she with a smile says " come on I will show you what you need" And no nonsense you gets 2 viles, one of pencilline and one of medicated eye cream. Hands them to us and says here is what you do. Explains everything to us and when Dh says about our buddy's wife she replies thats great get her to help! That will make it really easy.

Everything cost 25 bucks. 25 Bucks ! After I could not even get a vet to see him with in 50 miles of me without $200 just for the visit. Some days you just find your self saying "you have to be F*****g kidding me."

Thanks for letting me blow off some steam guys
smile.png
I really really needed it.

Wow....that is a BAAAAAD Day! That is awful to not recieve any help with out big bucks from the vets.
Thank God the right lady was working at the Tractor Supply! Hope your goat responds well to the treatment.

Quote:
hu.gif
short???? just teasing ya.........I feel guilty now. I just got done with a 'my lucky day' post, and when i get done, I read this. That is so awful that you had to go through all that. So what actually happened to their eyes? Did the birds do it or coyotes?
OMG.......I have not had a single incident yet (knock-on-wood) and i hope i never do.
I'm so sorry you got treated like that. When you are going through a shock/trauma like that, you should not have to deal with that.
hugs.gif

Thats why I am considering gong to vet school. All the vets around here specialize in cats and dogs. Since I am western Washington, the closest large animal vet is 2 hours away or over the mountains. I want to do farm animals since there is a need for it and nobody wants to do it because of the money. What ever, get a good customer base and have them trust you! Takes time yes but that's satisfaction in it's self! Hope your goat makes a full recovery!

Quote:
hu.gif
short???? just teasing ya.........I feel guilty now. I just got done with a 'my lucky day' post, and when i get done, I read this. That is so awful that you had to go through all that. So what actually happened to their eyes? Did the birds do it or coyotes?
OMG.......I have not had a single incident yet (knock-on-wood) and i hope i never do.
I'm so sorry you got treated like that. When you are going through a shock/trauma like that, you should not have to deal with that.
hugs.gif

Our run that is built of the chicken coop is made of chain link dog kennel fencing so it is pretty safe (did it with the coyotes in mind) the best we can tell from the face damage is that he seen something he wanted to eat on teh other side of the fence. And got his muzzle stuck in the chain link tring to get it, peeling some of the hide off and damaging his eyes pulling his nose back out.
He was good putting the meds on and with his shot tonight but its gonna be a few days before we know if he is going to have permate eye damage or not. I told Dh I don't care if he is blind I will love him anyway I just don't want him gettign an infection and dieing on me.

Quote:
When you shine a light in a hurt animals eyes and get a milky white reflection back in means the animal has damage to it's cornias. Normally its in patches cause only damaged areas will reflect in this way, healthy undamaged areas will reflect back clear.

I am so sorry for you and your pet. Please keep us all posted on his progress...we will say a prayer for him tonight. I hope he/you rest well and things are better in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom