REALLY, really strange egg,

henpeckedmuch

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Floppy top, a hactery New Hampshire Red, was acting strange for two or three days. I noticed that her bottom was enlarged and that she was almost catatonic in her actions. I checked her for the obvious things and couldn't tell for sure but thought maybe she was becoming egg bound. Then the next morning when I checked her the swelling had gone down and she seemed alright. I gave my thanks and started to gather the eggs. Holy smoke will you look at that one I thought! I took it into the house and measured it. It was 7 and 3/8 inches around and 3 and 1/4 inches long. The shell seemed a little thin and I wanted to save it for my wife to see after she got home from work so I hard boiled it and stuck it in the refrigerator. After she had seen it that PM I went ahead and was going to cut it up and feed it back to the chickens. Well, when I started to cut into it with a knife and suddenly it stopped, I had hit something hard. I pryied the outside open a little and beheld a wonderment. Inside the first egg was a perfectly formed other egg of normal size. I took some pictures of this with my wifes 35 mm camera and proceeded to cut into the second egg. It was in every way a normal egg. the first larger outside egg had a huge yoke and more than normal egg white present. Have any of you had this experience? I wonder if the egg/ eggs had been viable if it could have hatched? I'm telling you Ole Floppy top gets my applause when I see her now. She has had no complications since and is laying nice large but normal eggs every day or so. They may be just Hatchery chickens but they are tough!

This is VERY uncommon, but I have heard of it. I have also heard that you will have a lifetime of good fortune if you ever get one of these - I hope it's true for you!
fl.gif

I've read about that happening, but I've never seen it. Poor girl! I'm glad she lived through that. I bet you wondered what the heck was going on when you were cutting into it!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom