Really red vent & blood on egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buckaru22, Mar 23, 2011.

1. buckaru22

buckaru22 New Egg

Mar 23, 2011
    Hi, one of our hens has just recently shown signs of diarrhea (gray splatter on tail) and today I noticed her vent was very red and inflamed. One of todays eggs had signs of blood on it. She seems fine otherwise. Any suggestions? This is our first year with chickens.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Does it smell sickly sweet? If so then that is most likely vent gleet. I am in day two of treating one with that.
    sharon

3. callen

callen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2010
    it may be that the egg she is laying is a little biger than her vant and it some times cracks

4. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

Its probably a vent gleet. Good luck!

5. Paintedhorsegirl

Paintedhorsegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    What is a vent gleet? i have been trying to solve one of my hens issues for over a week now, and Im still trying to figure out what to do...What is that and how is it treated?

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I am battling this now. She had a red swollen, pulsing vent with gooey discharge whitish yellowish coming out of it. Constantly. I am feeding her yogurt and putting some female yeast infection cream in and on her vent. As of today, she is now dry on the bottom...oh and the smell is sickly sweet icky.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by