REALLY SMALL EGG!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by animallover1654, Nov 13, 2012.

1. animallover1654

animallover1654 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    My Coop
    soooooo, i got a super duper small egg! my girls eggs are usually quite large, so this petite egg kinda worries me. its about the size of....hmmm...in terms of height its about an 1 1/2 inches tall and 1 inch wide, but im bad with measurement so i could be wrong. what does a super small egg mean? i dont know who layed it, but it either came from my barred plymouth rock, rhode island red or new hampshire red. help!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It's called a fart egg, and is usually devoid of yolk. :) Happens occasionally. :D

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

Also known as a Fairy Egg for those with more delicate sensibilities. It's nothing to worry about.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It might not have a yolk at all or it might be nothing but yolk. A hen's internal egg laying factory is fairly conplicated. Occasionally something messes up. As long as it does not become a habit, absolutely nothing to worry about.

5. lbrtyldy

lbrtyldy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2011
    I had one of those and it had no yolk. We're all bound to get weird eggs from time to time but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

6. cmoore333

cmoore333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    I've found two in the past two weeks, but I've found them just in thier coop, not in thier nesting boxes or anything.. So is that normal?? Since I have five hens and have only two laying eggs so far, they have to come from one of my other two who are just about old enough to finally start laying!!:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by