Really strange shaped egg?

SycolinWoodsChickens

Songster
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Northern Virginia
Sorry I don't have a pic to post tonight of the egg. My ducks have been laying since Sept 19. We have 5 females and get 3 eggs a day. We've had two double yolkers and all the other eggs have been about 70 grams in size and had a hard shell and were oval.

For the past two days one of the ducks has been laying eggs that are kind of round with one or two sides that are flat. We have no ideas which one is laying those eggs. The eggs are small but really, really oddly shaped. I'm concerned but I'm not sure I know if I need to be?!?! Could this be an injury or an indication of another problem?

Any ideas?

Quote:
they are still new layers-they need to work out the kinks so I would not be concerned at all:) I get it all the time with pullets and the first month:)

Two days eggs isnt too much to worry about at this stage- they can lay odd eggs at the start and end of laying cycles. Just keep an eye on things and if the duck is still not laying a more regular egg in a week or two it would be time to investigate further then.

I had an egg look just like that yesterday and also 1 last week. I have 4 female Pekins..1 of which has just started lying last week but yesterday we got 3 normal eggs and 1 funky egg, smaller than a golf ball and flat on 1 side with little crumble bits on it. I broke it open and there was a good sized yolk in there

Yeah, I get those every once and a while on new layers. No problem. It will straighten out and be fine.
Make sure you offer plenty of oyster shell, too. My 20 duck hens have been going through it like mad.

Back
Top Bottom