Really Stupid Chickens?

MalMom

Songster
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Colorado
Does anyone have any really stupid chickens? Like if they didn't have people taking care of them, natural selection would have removed them long ago? I either have a really stupid chicken, or a suicidal one, I'm not sure which it is. I know cats have nine lives, but how many do chickens have? This hen just used four of them up in a three minute period. :barnie

Does anyone have any really stupid chickens? Like if they didn't have people taking care of them, natural selection would have removed them long ago? I either have a really stupid chicken, or a suicidal one, I'm not sure which it is. I know cats have nine lives, but how many do chickens have? This hen just used four of them up in a three minute period. :barnie

Doing what? What makes her stupid?

I think natural selection would take care all but the wiliest domestic chickens without human help looking after them.

Doing what? What makes her stupid?

I think natural selection would take care all but the wiliest domestic chickens without human help looking after them.
She attempted to get eaten by the huskies, four times in less than three minutes.

I have (and have had lol..) some incredibly stupid Silkies but Lord bless 'em they are so much fun to keep. Our brood Mama Silkie (who we sadly lost this year) regularly 'fell out' with the water container - it was obviously acting suspiciously according to Arrow!!.. One of our Silkie roos, Cole decided to try his aherrmm luck with not only the coop leg but also with our other Silkie roo, Storm, who was LESS than impressed.. Not to be put off, he then tried the poor cat, I wouldn't mind but it wasn't even our cat!!! Try explaining that to your neighbour - 'Here's your traumatised cat back, I'm afraid he's been humped by our randy roo!!..'.. We have plenty of hens for him to choose - he can't be that dumb!!.. I mean, picky lol.. I know it's often hard for us to sometimes sex baby Silkies but I've always assumed chooks know they kinda need one of each to make babies!.. You know, when a mummy chicken and a daddy chicken love each other very much etc etc, didn't think I'd need to explain it to THEM!! Lol.. Finally, there's our Pekin Bantam / Cochin, Biscuit who stares at the sky for hours at a time - I'm assuming she's either alien hunting or waiting for the mother ship to beam her some further instructions lol..

Last edited:
I had to LOL at this post. I just had this conversation with my husband last night. We've had bantam chickens (hens only) for a number of years now and I thought they were all impressively intelligent. We recently added a variety of new bantams to our bunch and the non-Silkies are all seemingly intelligent. We wound up with 2 sets of Silkies 10 weeks and 8 weeks (mix of hens and roos...have no idea which is which right now) and I swear they are all stupid. I love 'em to death....big giant puff balls...but they are nothing like our older 4 Silkies - who do have brains. Our original hens got the jist of how to things/go into the coop house/stay away from preditors/etc. within a day or so but it's taken me weeks to get these new guys to catch on...and in some cases...I'm still trying! :he

I have (and have had lol..) some incredibly stupid Silkies but Lord bless 'em they are so much fun to keep. Our brood Mama Silkie (who we sadly lost this year) regularly 'fell out' with the water container - it was obviously acting suspiciously according to Arrow!!.. One of our Silkie roos, Cole decided to try his aherrmm luck with not only the coop leg but also with our other Silkie roo, Storm, who was LESS than impressed.. Not to be put off, he then tried the poor cat, I wouldn't mind but it wasn't even our cat!!! Try explaining that to your neighbour - 'Here's your traumatised cat back, I'm afraid he's been humped by our randy roo!!..'.. We have plenty of hens for him to choose - he can't be that dumb!!.. I mean, picky lol.. I know it's often hard for us to sometimes sex baby Silkies but I've always assumed chooks know they kinda need one of each to make babies!.. You know, when a mummy chicken and a daddy chicken love each other very much etc etc, didn't think I'd need to explain it to THEM!! Lol.. Finally, there's our Pekin Bantam / Cochin, Biscuit who stares at the sky for hours at a time - I'm assuming she's either alien hunting or waiting for the mother ship to beam her some further instructions lol..
:lau:lau:lau

I had to LOL at this post. I just had this conversation with my husband last night. We've had bantam chickens (hens only) for a number of years now and I thought they were all impressively intelligent. We recently added a variety of new bantams to our bunch and the non-Silkies are all seemingly intelligent. We wound up with 2 sets of Silkies 10 weeks and 8 weeks (mix of hens and roos...have no idea which is which right now) and I swear they are all stupid. I love 'em to death....big giant puff balls...but they are nothing like our older 4 Silkies - who do have brains. Our original hens got the jist of how to things/go into the coop house/stay away from preditors/etc. within a day or so but it's taken me weeks to get these new guys to catch on...and in some cases...I'm still trying! :he
Hahaha. I had an Ameraucana growing up who was very smart. I taught her to play fetch using a bouncy ball. As an adult I had two RIRs and one BR. They weren't smart, but they weren't stupid. My roommate has three RIRs and one BR. The RIRs are the dumbest animals I have ever seen. I don't know if they are playing some weird game of chicken (no pun intended) or perhaps it's some form of Chicken Russia Roulette. I think the rules go something like: "See who can come closest to being eaten by the huskies without actually dying" or something like that.

IMG_1012.JPG

Yesterday was another round of, "I'm a stupid chicken" I can't wait until we get our actual run up so this dummy doesn't get eaten.

I almost lost my dummy to her getting stuck in the feeder pinned under one of the pegs at the bottom- you know, where the chickens peck their feed out of. I had to screw it off to get the poor gal out!:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom