Really Wet Duck...is this normal?

Lindsy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 5, 2011
Hi
We have a small flock (10) of ducks. One duck is a male crested...something. He is white with some grey and quite a large bird. He is doing fine but I've noticed that when he plays in the water (swims in pond, rains, etc) he gets soaked! The other ducks seem more water repellent. He isn't shivering or appearing uncomfortable....but I worry. We are in Canada, on west coast ...rainy but rarely snow. This is his first winter (approx 7 months old). Are some breeds less water repellent? He has access to a covered warm coop but....would rather play in water with the flock. Any thoughts?

thanks
Lindsy

Hi
We have a small flock (10) of ducks. One duck is a male crested...something. He is white with some grey and quite a large bird. He is doing fine but I've noticed that when he plays in the water (swims in pond, rains, etc) he gets soaked! The other ducks seem more water repellent. He isn't shivering or appearing uncomfortable....but I worry. We are in Canada, on west coast ...rainy but rarely snow. This is his first winter (approx 7 months old). Are some breeds less water repellent? He has access to a covered warm coop but....would rather play in water with the flock. Any thoughts?

thanks
Lindsy
How old is he? Ducks have gland that produces oil for them, usually you can tell it's full function when they get out of the water and it rolls off. Wonder if his gland is not working, is he acting sick in any way? Is he eating and drinking OK?

Thanks for your response.
Yoko is about 6-7 months....we really never noticed him staying so wet before...he spent lots of time in the water when young and seemed ok. It is mostly this last month that its been so noticeable. He seems healthy and energetic and part of the flock. I'm wondering if its part of the genetic make up (he's crested)....i'm wondering if there is anything I could supplement with....

Well, I've put more straw in the coop (he can go in whenever he wants) and the heat lamp. But nooooooo......he stands out in the rain with the flock. I think I'll have to put him inside..... So far, he seems healthy so I guess I'll keep an eye on him.

Well, I've put more straw in the coop (he can go in whenever he wants) and the heat lamp. But nooooooo......he stands out in the rain with the flock. I think I'll have to put him inside..... So far, he seems healthy so I guess I'll keep an eye on him.
Does your duck preen himself once he gets out of the water. Preening is how they spread the oil from their oil gland over their feathers.
Here is some info on wet feather this is what it sounds like your duck has. https://poultrykeeper.com/external-problems/wet-feather/

I would take a look at his preen gland, give him some treats with some ground flaxseed (a teaspoon a day), and consider that he may be due for a molt. If the preen gland seems inflamed, he may need some help - I think massaging some olive oil into the glad may help reduce inflammation.

Thanks so much! I'll take a look at his gland tomorrow...hate to say I'm not sure what I'm looking for but I'll check. Miss Lydia....thanks for the link....wet feathers sounds like what it is! Where we live (Vancouver Island BC Canada) we had a drought all summer so the ground was dry. Lately its been huge rain storms and the ground is very muddy. He is in good health so I'll give him some treats (thanks Amiga!) and dry him out and maybe put some straw over the muddy parts of the run for now (even though I will replace lots). He's a lovely guy so want to treat him right! I'll let you know what I find with the gland (and maybe some pics of my poor drenched duck).

I know that sometimes a duck will just have worn out feathers, or be right at the beginning of a molt that I have not yet noticed, and they get drenched.

Thanks so much! I'll take a look at his gland tomorrow...hate to say I'm not sure what I'm looking for but I'll check. Miss Lydia....thanks for the link....wet feathers sounds like what it is! Where we live (Vancouver Island BC Canada) we had a drought all summer so the ground was dry. Lately its been huge rain storms and the ground is very muddy. He is in good health so I'll give him some treats (thanks Amiga!) and dry him out and maybe put some straw over the muddy parts of the run for now (even though I will replace lots). He's a lovely guy so want to treat him right! I'll let you know what I find with the gland (and maybe some pics of my poor drenched duck).
One of my Muscovy had her gland to get clogged so I used a nice warm wash cloth and laid it over the gland several times and that helped. the oil gland is right at the end of the body where the tail and body meets on top side it looks like a raised bump and should have a yellow color to it. that is the oil, Massage may help but boy they don't like you to touch those oil glands or mine didn't they must be sensitive to touch.

Love to see this guy he sounds precious.

Last edited:

I'm gonna have to go with Miss Lydia, That's a good link, it states that once they lose there feathers and grow new ones it helps with the problem

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom