Really worried about food for hatchling

Teloka

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 4, 2013
I'm hatching a mystery egg that was abandoned and that magically turned out to be fertilized. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750468/new-australian-hatching-mystery-egg-at-home/)

I very much think it is a Native Australian Wood Duck egg, which means it is due to hatch in a few days, as we entered lock down today.

Wood ducks seem to like to eat a lot of natural greenery as they are "dabbling ducks"- grasses, herbs, this sort of thing, but I am thinking if it hatches successfully, I should get it some sort of starter as well to eat, especially as a young duckling.

However I checked our local produce store, and they only have medicated chick starter, which I read was a big no no for waterfowl. The man in the store insisted that it would be perfectly fine, but I don't know if he was just trying to sell me the product.

I want to do the best that I can for this little baby if it hatches, but I don't know if I should risk the medicated starter, or just feed it a vegetarian diet of grasses, green vegetables and herbs and fruit.

But then I am worried if that will be enough protien for it... aahh! I don't know what to do!

I’m not sure what you have in Australia, but is there some type of animal control or government wildlife department, either local or national, that might have some expert advice? I think that would be my first step. They might be able to help you get a positive ID too. I’m not aware of what the laws might be on your raising the duckling if that is what it really is.

You can look for a different feed store.

Does that feed store offer another feed that is higher in protein but doesn’t have the extra calcium like Layer? Here we can get stuff called Flock Raiser that would fit the bill.

That duckling will live and grow on regular grower, even though it is a little lower in protein that is optimal. I understand that it should have, it’s best if it has, and all that, but I don’t live in an ideal world. I deal with the world as it is. You can always feed grower and supplement with higher protein snacks if you wish.

As stated, look for a grower ration. Broiler grower, game bird starter, turkey starter can all be used but you will need to cut the protein in some.

Call the store and ask them what the medicine is in the feed. Some medicinces are okay for ducklings (amprolium, zinc bacitracin), some not(here it was older meds that were added that were unsafe). If they can't/won't tell you, find out the brand of the feed and search on the internet or go and see for yourself. Here, they have to have it on the nutritional label.

Thank you very very much! I tried an organic feed store but they don't stock for any poultry or game birds. I'm not sure of the laws either, but I thought I would look into that if it came to it and the egg actually hatches. It might also be a native brushturkey.

I will look for all of these things and check the ingredients on the labels for the ones I have seen. Is there a list of ingredients/medications to specifically avoid for ducklings?

Back
Top Bottom