Really, you want how much?!

Darklingstorm

Songster
9 Years
Jan 10, 2011
Durant, Oklahoma
So I decided I really want to raise Orpingtons but I didn't want hatchery blood line. So I got to looking for a breeder. I found 2.
#1 Sells eggs only via the mail or chicks by pick up only (they live WAY to far for me to drive). I don't have an incubator and really don't want one. I was hoping to let momma hen do it or a surrogate hen do it.
So in order to get these chickens I would have to buy an incubator and 2 dozen eggs and hope that most hatch out and that I get the right number of females and male that I want.

#2 Doesn't even sell the eggs or chicks but want to sell 8-12 wk old juveniles for $200 a bird! They said it was because the import them, but from their pictures it looks like they breed their own. So I don't know, but I do know that I'm not paying $1400 to get 7 birds.

So now I'm back to hatchery blood lines. Which are OK, I've gotten most of my chicken from them. But (no offense here) they are on the low end of the standards. Both of my Orpingtons that I've gotten have been beautiful but small and lay small eggs.
I hear people promoting all the time about "sustaining a pure breed" but at the prices people are asking how can a small time backyard farmer do it. I have the space, time and desire to breed true and not just hatch for hatching sake but I can't affords hundreds of dollars just to get a starter flock. And its not like I'm wanting to breed some rare exotic birds that have a low survival rate.
I understand that once I get them that I can breed my own and no longer will give them a profit by buying more chickens from them. But come on I can see $50 a bird but more is just too much.
So keep your expensive birds and watch as mutts become the new standard chicken breed.

If you read this, thank you for listening to me rant. I'm still hoping on Orpingtons but will have to wait and hope Santa brings me one this year.

$200 a bird eh? Must lay those golden eggs I been looking for
lau.gif

You can get good birds from a breeder for 50.00 or less at the shows. The pictures of birds on the breeders websites are their best and I assure you a lot of culls came along to get that bird. I paid a good price for some eggs from a well known orpington breeder here on BYC and the birds I hatched were not any better than what some BYC orpington folks have. It is all a marketing scheme as some folks feel ripped off if they pay less than 150.00 a bird.

I have some nice birds that are a good foundation stock for show quality but only ship eggs or for local pick up.

I've heard of people that show birds turning down hundreds of dollars per bird, because they didn't want those sold birds competing against the ones they kept. At $200 a bird, you'd think these were some kind of extremely rare or endangered breed. Good quality Orpingtons shouldn't be to hard to find. Try craigslist.

:eek: I have bought a pullet from SQ stock for $10!
IMG_0629-2.jpg
Here she is just a few weeks after I got her! You should not pay that much for a bird.. Obviously someone is pulling your leg or trying to pick your pockets.

Dad turned down $1500 for a chicken once. Remember, what something is worth is a combination of what someone is willing to sell something for an what someone else is willing to pay.
Yuppers, just as in real estate. That's the definition of "fair market value". Would I pay that? No, but it's not a passion of mine, either, so whatever floats your boat.

If you want beautiful Buff Orpingtons, contact hinkjc. I've had several of her hens. Beautiful big girls. Decent layers. Good mothers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom