Reasons for crop not emptying other then sour crop

happyhencamper

Songster
Sep 25, 2020
3.5 year old easter egger not running towards food thrown with other hens. Standing by herself. Roosting in nest box. Drinking lots of water but not as much as I have seen others do in the past. Feathers puffed at neck and head area. Beak area does not have any smell.

Separated from others checked crop in am not completely empty. I was able to massage and move around. Squishy. Wiping beak on things.
All 10 are molting excessively.

Can a hard molt cause any of this or should I treat for yeast even though no smell ? Withhold food?

Yes, there are many reasons why a crop will slow. In fact, they account for most crop disorders, unfortunately. It can be a heavy worm load, or reproductive infection or cancer. And yes, molt can affect general health and crop function can slow.

Is the hen being harassed by the others at all? Often this is the case when a chicken doesn't feel well, especially if she's lower in rank than most of the others. I would bring her in and place her in a crate where you can observe her for today. Provide her with regular food, but include grit in case that could be why the crop is slow. You might also consider worming her.

If the crop is full tomorrow morning, then I would start her on miconazole.

Yes, there are many reasons why a crop will slow. In fact, they account for most crop disorders, unfortunately. It can be a heavy worm load, or reproductive infection or cancer. And yes, molt can affect general health and crop function can slow.

Is the hen being harassed by the others at all? Often this is the case when a chicken doesn't feel well, especially if she's lower in rank than most of the others. I would bring her in and place her in a crate where you can observe her for today. Provide her with regular food, but include grit in case that could be why the crop is slow. You might also consider worming her.

I have nystatin prescription. I have treated for this before. It was not successful but suspect she was too far gone. I haven’t fed her today only water. I have her in my small quarantine coop. But I check on her regularly. I am going out to see if her crop is empty after not eating all day. I recently treated the whole flock for worms and coccidiosis. I also had to treat for mites. I am ready to give up backyard chickens because there is just too many problems. The nystatin I think I have the dose written somewhere and I know I give it for five days. I am going to go out now and feel her crop and give her some food. Probiotics? In water? Yogurt? Thanks for responding.

Canopy, sour, crop without the smell?

Very rarely have I been able to detect a smell with sour crop and those cases were severely impacted crop that had been fermenting for a good while and another where the crop refused to move due to reproductive tract infection.

I was able to massage the crop and it seemed to empty yesterday. She had had no food. However, I did give her Hydro hen in her water which has electrolytes, probiotics, and acidifier’s I think. I gave her plain Greek yogurt later in the day. She was not interested at all.

I was able to massage the crop and it seemed to empty yesterday. She had had no food. However, I did give her Hydro hen in her water which has electrolytes, probiotics, and acidifier’s I think. I gave her plain Greek yogurt later in the day. She was not interested at all.
Not sure how to add to my post but would like the whole community to see this. Not sure if I am just responding to just one person. I put her back in the flock and of course she instantly devoured tons of grass. She seemed fine and has been back since September 26. She was still sleeping in the nest box. I checked nest box every day and no poop. I could smell urates so emptied and cleaned daily. Yesterday she must have had something coming out of her beak because another girl started pecking at her beak like she was feeding. Then she started to sort of move beak like we would smack our lips. Then she began to (best I can describe) dry heave. That is when I knew a digestive problem still existed. I put her back in the quarantine coop. I didn't give her food and am headed out to check her crop. If not empty I will give nystatin orally with syringe. My big question is why does she have diarrhea too? Is it the yeast traveling through her system? She has been eating all along. (it wasn't the fake eating they do either) I have seen that in others. Finally, why does this continue to happen? I have stopped giving them a lot of table scraps like I did before. I am wondering if this could be something else. This is the 3rd or 4th one in two years. One died naturally she was 9. I didn't think anything of it the others had to be euthanized.

Back
Top Bottom