Reasons to pant?

Jdemaste

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2020
Hi all! Do chickens pant from stress/anxiety? We just introduced 2-4 month orpingtons into our flock (a buff and mauve) and the mauve is panting a lot. It’s hot, but she has had cool water and she’s the only one panting. Is it possible that she’s just getting used to her new friends? It’s a young flock, and she and the other Orpington are the oldest, she’s not being picked on. Is it just the change of scenery? Is there anything I can do to help her? Thanks!

Could be both stress and the heat.

This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:
I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

I live in Deep south Texas and all of our birds pant and hold their wings out during the daylight hours. Yes it is heat stress and for me there isn't a viable solution. They have full run of the property to find shade and coolness, and totally do their siesta thing.

I
X2 on the electrolytes just to be safe. We use SavAChick as well.
I disagree to the electrolytes evolution will solve their issues. There isn't a reason to throw good money after bad choices in chicken rearing. I love the Chantecler breed but would never bring them on to my plot of land.

I am totally not trying to be hostile but my heat loving breeds do not like my level of heat.

The person says it's hot but only 1 chicken panting more than normal. The first thing I'd do is mix up some electrolytes for them and keep an eye on the bird.

If that would be "throwing good money after bad" in your mind, that's fine. Filling small waterer with SavAChick, Nutridrench etc costs maybe a dollar. Worth a try to me.

The person says it's hot but only 1 chicken panting more than normal. The first thing I'd do is mix up some electrolytes for them and keep an eye on the bird.

If that would be "throwing good money after bad" in your mind, that's fine. Filling small waterer with SavAChick, Nutridrench etc costs maybe a dollar. Worth a try to me.
I do agree and have it stocked in the fridge Poultry Nutri-Drench from TSC. I just do not see it solving heat stress.

Were I to ever go crazy I would install chicken water misters for the chicken in shaded areas. Going back to OP you can always bring her inside to an enclosure and reintroduce her later. I would for sure rule out the heat stress part first. She being new to the flock probably is not allowed to use or hasn't learned the coolest and best areas during the day.

Last edited:
All good suggestions. I think electrolytes can be important too.

This is from the SavAChick website. It says specifically for periods of heat and stress. Guess they could be wrong about their product but we've had good results.
Screenshot_20200712-163211_Chrome.jpg

I do agree and have it stocked in the fridge Poultry Nutri-Drench from TSC. I just do not see it solving heat stress.
Why is it in the fridge, it should be kept dry and cool. Fridge can be too humid.
It doesn't solve it, but it definitely helps!
It keeps them more mobile and eating.

Back
Top Bottom