Reassure me about outdoor brooding!

Mom2LotsOBoys

Chirping
Feb 4, 2023
Shenandoah Valley
Can someone just reassure me I’m not about to kill my chicks?!

Nighttime lows are in the 30s-40s, with days hovering in the 50-60 range. I have a draft free brooder box next to the house, and a mama hen heating pad set up inside a cardboard box (so three sides of that spot enclosed) in the brooder for extra heat and draft protection. It feels cozy to me but I’m having nerves lol.

Will this be okay? I have seven chicks coming today and three more next week.

In the photo, that open spot is covered by industrial saran wrap so it’s not drafty, but lets in light.

Attachments

• F8AABD99-AB6B-4BD6-97CA-AD4A2EEE36F9.jpeg
    F8AABD99-AB6B-4BD6-97CA-AD4A2EEE36F9.jpeg
    771.4 KB · Views: 23
The temp is dropping and it’s windy but no drafts I can feel in the brooder. The loud cheeping stopped and they’re all mostly quiet underneath. Sound okay?

Attachments

• E3CDA143-FD94-4836-A9A0-02DEA47692B9.jpeg
    E3CDA143-FD94-4836-A9A0-02DEA47692B9.jpeg
    437.5 KB · Views: 9
It will be ok. :hugs

I am brooding chicks in my shop right now. The building is not insulated and in fact was a big coop I had built years ago so has open soffits as well as 11 windows that don't seal 100%. We have had night time lows in the low to mid teens and highs not hitting 35. So far so good! They are all thriving nearly a week old now.

I have brooded outside in a barn or coop many times before with these temps. As long as they have adequate heat, thawed water, plenty of food and light during the day they should be just fine.
Do check often for pasty butt as shipped chicks this time of year seem a bit more prone to that.

It will be ok. :hugs

I am brooding chicks in my shop right now. The building is not insulated and in fact was a big coop I had built years ago so has open soffits as well as 11 windows that don't seal 100%. We have had night time lows in the low to mid teens and highs not hitting 35. So far so good! They are all thriving nearly a week old now.

I have brooded outside in a barn or coop many times before with these temps. As long as they have adequate heat, thawed water, plenty of food and light during the day they should be just fine.
Do check often for pasty butt as shipped chicks this time of year seem a bit more prone to that.

That makes me feel much better! Thank you 😊

Back
Top Bottom