reccomended wormer and general price

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by countrygirl36, Nov 25, 2012.

1. countrygirl36

countrygirl36 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    im new to chickens so bear with me,at what age should you start worming,how often,what times of year,what kind is best,and general prices?anything helps!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    http://www.jefferspet.com/valbazen/camid/LIV/cp/16387/
    http://www.jefferspet.com/product.asp?pn=I6-SK&green=C680AEFF-38D2-50F8-B8AA-453382B26454
    I usually rotate between the 2 wormers above or use zimectrin gold equine wormer paste when dealing with stubborn tapeworms, normally valbazen gets rid of them though. Valbazen is the best, safeguard is good too.
    I start worming around the 8-10th month, sometimes sooner depending on soil conditions. Sooner if there's been alot of rain and warm soil conditions. How often you worm depends on again, soil conditions. Cool, mountainous/rocky or hot desertlike soil may not require as frequent worming as warm moist soil conditions.

3. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi,

I have used safeguard in the past and had great results. It is affordable and seemed to do the job well.

I worm my girls in the winter. I am getting ready to worm then this week actually. I find that the winter time produces
    less egg loss. They are laying less right now due to the limited day light so for me it is a better time than waiting
    till the warmer months when they are laying much more.

I pick them up individually and put the wormer in their mouths, I also dust them at the some time, this way I get all
    the not so much fun stuff (in their opinion) over with at one time. There is an egg withdrawl of 20 days or so.

hope this helps

4. countrygirl36

countrygirl36 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    thanks for the help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by