Recent Blackhead Disease and Broody Hens - deworm or not?

cathy_2005

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2022
3 weeks ago, we lost our flock of Broad Breasted White Turkeys to Blackhead Disease (confirmed by GA Poultry Lab). The Turkeys seemed fine, but one by one they’d lose balance, look lethargic and die within 12-24hrs. The last Turkey to die had a mustard colored poop that was frothy/bubbles popping.

The Turkeys shared a fence line with our Chicken flock. No symptoms in the Chickens until this week. This week I’ve seen the same looking mustard frothy/bubbly poop within our Chicken flock.

Per GA Poultry Lab guidance, I began treatment of Safeguard Aquasol on the Chickens yesterday afternoon. This morning, I saw this very watery diarrhea (to be expected with a dewormer), but noticed some tiny live worms inside it. So tiny I couldn’t easily separate a worm out of this sample for photo/video. My phone isn’t letting me attach video. Could these be cecal worms from Histomoniasis?

Obviously I’ll continue deworming for the full 5 days recommended. My main concern right now is 3 broody hens recently separated from our flock. They haven’t been treated with Safeguard Aquasol and their chicks are due to hatch in 2-3 days. Should I start a dewormer on the broody hens? I didn’t yet because I was afraid it’d be too much on their system as they’ve decreased food and water intake while sitting on eggs. Plus I don’t know if shedding cecal worms would more easily introduce worms to the new chicks?

Attachments

• 8183B186-1978-45BE-8C49-7B623B379228.jpeg
    8183B186-1978-45BE-8C49-7B623B379228.jpeg
    621 KB · Views: 40
3 weeks ago, we lost our flock of Broad Breasted White Turkeys to Blackhead Disease (confirmed by GA Poultry Lab). The Turkeys seemed fine, but one by one they’d lose balance, look lethargic and die within 12-24hrs. The last Turkey to die had a mustard colored poop that was frothy/bubbles popping.

The Turkeys shared a fence line with our Chicken flock. No symptoms in the Chickens until this week. This week I’ve seen the same looking mustard frothy/bubbly poop within our Chicken flock.

Per GA Poultry Lab guidance, I began treatment of Safeguard Aquasol on the Chickens yesterday afternoon. This morning, I saw this very watery diarrhea (to be expected with a dewormer), but noticed some tiny live worms inside it. So tiny I couldn’t easily separate a worm out of this sample for photo/video. My phone isn’t letting me attach video. Could these be cecal worms from Histomoniasis?

Obviously I’ll continue deworming for the full 5 days recommended. My main concern right now is 3 broody hens recently separated from our flock. They haven’t been treated with Safeguard Aquasol and their chicks are due to hatch in 2-3 days. Should I start a dewormer on the broody hens? I didn’t yet because I was afraid it’d be too much on their system as they’ve decreased food and water intake while sitting on eggs. Plus I don’t know if shedding cecal worms would more easily introduce worms to the new chicks?
Tough to tell if it's cecal worms without a photo. When worms are excreted, they are either dead or dying, they cannot survive outside their host. It couldve been maggots.

It would be best to go ahead and worm the broodies. The wormer will be more effective since they havnt eaten much. Besides, you dont want cecal worms shedding their eggs around your chicks once hatched.

Tough to tell if it's cecal worms without a photo. When worms are excreted, they are either dead or dying, they cannot survive outside their host. It couldve been maggots.

It would be best to go ahead and worm the broodies. The wormer will be more effective since they havnt eaten much. Besides, you dont want cecal worms shedding their eggs around your chicks once hatched.
I just tried to take a screenshot of the video. They are incredibly skinny and don’t seem long (maybe half a fingernail length?) I could barely see little ripples in the liquid as they wriggled in place. I’ll go ahead and start the safeguard Aquasol on the Broody girls tomorrow. Thanks for your advise!

Attachments

• 7101C8BE-8C13-42C4-B622-EBF432C5DD73.jpeg
    7101C8BE-8C13-42C4-B622-EBF432C5DD73.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 30D929D0-892C-4C55-800C-13A4E3CD3F34.jpeg
    30D929D0-892C-4C55-800C-13A4E3CD3F34.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 24
I magnified the photo and it was kind of hard to see but it DID look like a cecal worm. They will die shortly after being excreted. Hopefully your birds will drink enough of the Aquasol to eliminate the worms. Consider withholding water from them the evening before giving them the Aquasol early the following morning.
They will be thirsty and will readily drink the solution.

MASSIVE cayenne pepper tube feeding. Will blast the parasites out of them. I had baby turkeys get it...and didn't lose any...all thanks to cayenne pepper.

Back
Top Bottom