Recent chicken deaths. Will my chickens be ok?

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
On Tuesday, 6 of my chickens got killed by a stupid raccoon. Well, I locked the chickens in the coop until I could catch the beast, good news, I caught it on Wednessday. We also have arranged to rehome all the roos, besides Falcon around this time. Well after 2 days of being locked in, my sibling barged into the coop while I was gone to get the roos... in the daytime. My chickens are petrified of my siblings so this must have been just like a predator breaking into the coop in their eyes. They were fully awake and aware, it would have been better for me to grab them at night when they are tired and not so aware of their surroundings, both sides. :barnie

So in all, my chickens are less than half of their flock size, 8 being present and 9 are gone. One rooster, 7 girls (lucky guy I know) and they are acting weird. It has been 4 days since the incident and I finally felt that it is safe enough to let my chickens out. So, Falcon, he doesn't listen to his name or commands anymore. Also, I went outside with a bowl full of like 11 eggs worth of scrambled eggs and they just walked around me, paying the eggs little mind. They would usually run up to me, shoving in front of each other to get some, I feed them by hand. They would rake their beaks across my legs and back to tell me that they wanted more. The only one that actually approached me today was Spring, she is pretty tame, and she just was constantly raking her beak on my pant leg. I offered her some and she ignored me, I tried to touch her, she would back away and then start raking my leg again.
So how do I help them? I never dealt with an attack so horrible since they were less than a year old, similar to how bad this went down and multiple times. Am I just being overactive and I'm just over observing?

Sorry for the lengthy text.
Thank you

So how do I help them? I never dealt with an attack so horrible since they were less than a year old, similar to how bad this went down and multiple times. Am I just being overactive and I'm just over observing?

Just take care of them the way you normally would, and don't worry.
They will be back to normal fairly soon (days or perhaps weeks.)

Yes, chickens get upset easily.
But they also get over it fairly quickly.

On Tuesday, 6 of my chickens got killed by a stupid raccoon. Well, I locked the chickens in the coop until I could catch the beast, good news, I caught it on Wednessday. We also have arranged to rehome all the roos, besides Falcon around this time. Well after 2 days of being locked in, my sibling barged into the coop while I was gone to get the roos... in the daytime. My chickens are petrified of my siblings so this must have been just like a predator breaking into the coop in their eyes. They were fully awake and aware, it would have been better for me to grab them at night when they are tired and not so aware of their surroundings, both sides. :barnie

So in all, my chickens are less than half of their flock size, 8 being present and 9 are gone. One rooster, 7 girls (lucky guy I know) and they are acting weird. It has been 4 days since the incident and I finally felt that it is safe enough to let my chickens out. So, Falcon, he doesn't listen to his name or commands anymore. Also, I went outside with a bowl full of like 11 eggs worth of scrambled eggs and they just walked around me, paying the eggs little mind. They would usually run up to me, shoving in front of each other to get some, I feed them by hand. They would rake their beaks across my legs and back to tell me that they wanted more. The only one that actually approached me today was Spring, she is pretty tame, and she just was constantly raking her beak on my pant leg. I offered her some and she ignored me, I tried to touch her, she would back away and then start raking my leg again.

Sorry for the lengthy text.
Thank you
Ugh..so sorry! How awful! I started another thread in a humorous vein about the Devil pants I wore into the coop last night..I’ve worn the same color pants and shirt for 18 weeks, when I wore different, plaid night pants and new shoes, they literally freaked out and looked at me frozen like I was Chicken Satan incarnate! We get used to routines, and these creatures are so, so observant, we take for granted that trust that builds..they’re always on the lookout for danger, real or imagined..it’s going to take some time to rebuild your relationship to the flock..just give it time..

Back
Top Bottom