1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Recently purchased Hens...how long before they will start

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by egibson961, Oct 5, 2008.

1. egibson961

egibson961 New Egg

Oct 4, 2008
    Okay, my first post, my first chickens... I just purchased four RIR's that are approximately one year old. I got them from a small farm where they were supposedly laying regularly. I understand that the "transition" may have upset them. So, my question is how long before they should start laying again ? They are roosting in a small barn along with two young Barred Rock Roo's.

2. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

I have one who started laying within a day or two. One went right into a molt and has not laid since. One was the rooster's favorite and has been busy regrowing feathers, and has still not laid, after a month. Light is changing and days getting shorter, so that may affect them. My 2 Isa Browns are only 17 weeks, so..... I guess just be patient, lol.

3. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    hen I got older hens it took them about 3-7 days before I started egging eggs from everyone.

4. Namaste Mama

Namaste Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2008
    AZ
    I got 3 from a local place. It took 2 weeks for one ot start laying and three weeks later the other 2 still aren't laying. Those to are about ready to meet my soup pot.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by