Recently there have been several posts on reforming your rooster

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
So, I thought maybe I was a bit hasty and I waited. To I removed him from the flock...and already I like my flock better. Each of us has to solve this on their own, and on their own time frame... but I never liked this rooster, from the day I picked him up.

I thought at the time it was because he wasn't Bye, but really, I didn't like his aggression to me or the hens, I didn't like his crow, and I am much happier when I manage my flock for me.

Mrs K

Agreed. Part of the reason I keep chickens is for the enjoyment of it. If there is a chicken in my flock that takes that away, I don’t feel the need to keep it.
Agree, whether that is a male or female chicken. Probably because I hatch and raise mine to eat and all the boys except one are going to the freezer anyway while I keep some of the girls as replacements, I've probably removed more females "for cause" than I have boys.

I agree about wanting a peaceful flock. I hate all the fighting and fussing. But I must confess, the main reason I cull is to get rid of a flyer/escapee. Whether hen or roo, if it won't stay with the flock, tries to start a second flock, or keeps getting in the yard & into the carport or garden -- it gets gone. First offense I clip one wing, second offense I clip a second, third offense it gets gone.

Party_Chicken - would you agree with this idea? This cockerel is not bird he was as a chick. I hope you enjoyed the darling when he was a chick, they generally are so much fun. But that is not the same bird you have now, you have given him a good life, all he needs is a quick moment and you and your hens will be relieved.

Seriously, the broomstick method is so fast, and then it is over. One generally has very poor luck with re homing, and what reason do your hens and yourself need to be punished by a bird that has been treated nice.

good luck, it will be a relief with him gone. Just a pleasure to go spend time with the girls. There is a BO there, that might go too. We will see if she settles down now.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom