Recipes- Duck Eggs

In response to a request, here is my cornbread recipe, in which I use duck eggs.

Notes - I heat the iron skillet (frying pan) to 450F as I am combining the ingredients. If your oven takes a while to heat up, just give it some time before you combine the wet and dry ingredients. You want the skillet very hot, but not smoking.

A note for people who don't read the whole recipe before beginning -
Be very careful handling the hot skillet, but try to get the butter and the batter into the skillet as soon as possible after removing the skillet from the oven.

1 cup stone ground corn meal
1 cup brown rice baking mix (I am gluten sensitive) or cup of unbleached flour
2 teaspoons baking soda if using baking mix with soda already in it, 4 teaspoons if using flour only
1 duck egg
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
enough butter to coat the skillet - a couple of pats (a tablespoon, more or less)

I use a nine inch iron skillet, and this recipe does not fill the skillet to the top, but it works out well for me.

Combine the dry ingredients well
Combine the wet ingredients well - I beat the egg first to combine the yolk and white
Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing well but not for too long.

Carefully take the 450 degree skillet out of the oven, placing it on a trivet or other surface that will not burn.
Butter the sides and bottom of the skillet.
Pour the batter into the skillet.
Replace the skillet into the oven, lowering the oven temperature to 425.

Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.

When I remove the skillet, I flip the bread onto a plate and serve.

You may want to use two duck eggs for a more moist cornbread. Some people add chile peppers, sweetener (up north they do this, anyway), or chitlins (my mom's favorite)

Back
Top Bottom