Recipes for homemade duck food

We moved to South west Florida from Massachusetts and I have purchased duck food at two different locations where it doesn't seem like the food is kept at a cool enough temperature. When you open the bags, a blueish powder comes out and it seems like the food is really gray. I desperately need a home made recipe so please let's forgive all the snarky comments and move forward with this thread. I have 3 pekins, 1 cayuga and 1 welsh harlequin. HELP

We eat our duck and geese eggs so it was important to me to give them good clean gmo free food. What I give our flock is a mix of oats, barly, corn, lentils, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, chia seeds, dried egg shells ground down, cut up fruit and veggie scraps, and from time to time I add a little kelp and food grade DE. They also free range on about half an acre. Our flock is happy, shiney, plump but not over weight, and healthy. They do produce too. P.s. chia seeds have a lot of calcium in just a little serving. So does dried ground egg shells.

Last edited:
Do you have a ration on each ingredient? I live in a town that only sells chicken stratch or purina all flock feed. I dont feed my cat and dogs purina i dont want to feed my ducks whoses eggs i eat purina. Your duck diet looks clean and health

Last edited:
I rescued a Muscovy here in Florida. I just love her so much and have a great coop and pond from the people who lived here before. My question is about feeding. Is Mazuri water foul one of the better feeds? I want to give her the best and I am CLUELESS!!! Please help!!
Thank from my sweet little chocolate Daizy Mae

I rescued a Muscovy here in Florida. I just love her so much and have a great coop and pond from the people who lived here before. My question is about feeding. Is Mazuri water foul one of the better feeds? I want to give her the best and I am CLUELESS!!! Please help!!
Thank from my sweet little chocolate Daizy Mae
@Daizy Mae from all I have heard it is one of the best feeds available. I wish I could buy it here.

Love to see a pic of your sweet scovy when you get time. I have 5 and love them to pieces.

Welcome to BYC!!

Hi Miss Lydia

I am so grateful for your response...thank you!!! I hope I can ask you about "things" from time to time because I just don't want to mess up. Daizy Mae is my first duck. I rescue wildlife birds but after moving 10 miles west from the beach, I have ducks around and she needed rescuing. She is TOTALLY unaware of cars for some reason. This is a quiet road however it's a straight shot, so many drivers speed like it's a race track UGH. Her brother was killed Jan 5th-that was heartbreaking.
I am crazy about this sweet duck and want to provide the best life for her. I will snap a photo of her hopefully tomorrow and post. Her sister and mom are staying outside the coop and I'm worried they won't leave. It's getting dark here so will get them into the coop for safety-I'm not sure but am guessing there are raccoons around in this area...alligators are around for sure!!

Thank you again for helping me with Daizy Mae

Hi Miss Lydia

I am so grateful for your response...thank you!!! I hope I can ask you about "things" from time to time because I just don't want to mess up. Daizy Mae is my first duck. I rescue wildlife birds but after moving 10 miles west from the beach, I have ducks around and she needed rescuing. She is TOTALLY unaware of cars for some reason. This is a quiet road however it's a straight shot, so many drivers speed like it's a race track UGH. Her brother was killed Jan 5th-that was heartbreaking.
I am crazy about this sweet duck and want to provide the best life for her. I will snap a photo of her hopefully tomorrow and post. Her sister and mom are staying outside the coop and I'm worried they won't leave. It's getting dark here so will get them into the coop for safety-I'm not sure but am guessing there are raccoons around in this area...alligators are around for sure!!

Thank you again for helping me with Daizy Mae
I'd just adopt them all.
smile.png
Oh yes they need a secure house because it's surprising what predators we have once we bring home dinner{ducks]
You might want to invest in fencing to keep them off the road. I am very sorry you lost Daizy Maes brother to hit an run .
hugs.gif

You should come and join us here too https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/130753/muscovy-keepers-share-your-pics/18340#post_17926781

Last edited:
Hi Miss Lydia

I was thankfully able to get the mom and other chocolate sister n the coop because the mom is injured. I am on 3 acres and every inch is already fenced--the ducks leave the lake across the street and then fly to the top of the fence and into my yard every AM between 7 & 8. I WANT to keep them all here so they don't return to the lake, which involves crossing a race-track of speedsters!!! Do you or anyone have any idea(s) of how I can keep them all here on my property? I was able to grab the 3 I have due to injury basically but the others are all able and can waddle fast and/or fly. They stay here all day and nap, but of course they go back to the lake during rush hour around 5 PM. Even those that fly, fly so low that they don't clear the car level. My stress level is off the charts from worry. There's about 10 total and I have plenty of space here for them...I'm feeding Mazuri as Miss Lydia suggested and they have fresh water and a pond with stream. Any tips of how to keep them from coming and going? I just can't face losing another one to these people who just don't care.
Please HELP!!!

Thank you from Daizy Mae

Hi Miss Lydia

I was thankfully able to get the mom and other chocolate sister n the coop because the mom is injured. I am on 3 acres and every inch is already fenced--the ducks leave the lake across the street and then fly to the top of the fence and into my yard every AM between 7 & 8. I WANT to keep them all here so they don't return to the lake, which involves crossing a race-track of speedsters!!! Do you or anyone have any idea(s) of how I can keep them all here on my property? I was able to grab the 3 I have due to injury basically but the others are all able and can waddle fast and/or fly. They stay here all day and nap, but of course they go back to the lake during rush hour around 5 PM. Even those that fly, fly so low that they don't clear the car level. My stress level is off the charts from worry. There's about 10 total and I have plenty of space here for them...I'm feeding Mazuri as Miss Lydia suggested and they have fresh water and a pond with stream. Any tips of how to keep them from coming and going? I just can't face losing another one to these people who just don't care.
Please HELP!!!

Thank you from Daizy Mae
Clipping winds will keep them grounded that is about all you can do or put up a 8' privacy fence but some would probably still be able to go over. I have a Mt River down below me and we're very wooded so to keep my Muscovy's home and safe I clip both wings on each duck. That keeps them grounded. having to cross that busy road is so awful. My stress level would be off the charts too. So grateful you care about them so many only see them as a nuisance.

Glad you were able to get mom and sis . What is wrong with mom?

Thank you for your reply. Our privacy fence is over 6 ft. I wouldn't be able to afford to re-fence the 3 acres...will clip the wings!!! GREAT idea! The mom's right wing is drooping. She was unable to fly, so was easy to get her. The 3 are all fully grown (not babies). I saw the mom mating and it seemed a bit rough so maybe it was damaged during that. Also, every so often 2 of the males will get into it but I run fast and break it up-will they kill each other? I wish I knew more about Muscovy's. The 2 males most of the time hang-out together but when they fight it terrifies me that the bigger will kill the smaller especially when he pins him down.

Back
Top Bottom