Recommedations for water container

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by namaste, May 19, 2009.

1. namaste

namaste New Egg

May 1, 2009
    I am looking for recommedations for water containers. I have 6 chicks that will be moved to their coop soon and need to purchase them a larger container. I do live in Maine so need something that I can change on a daily basis as the coop is not heated and will be afraid of the water freezing in the winter months. Currently I have a small contanier with the red bottom and it seems like they always put the pine shaving into the water. Is a hanger better, open bowl etc...[​IMG]

Any suggestions are helpful
    thanks in advance

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    The hanging works well...and to avoid the freezing months, they make the automatic type...just make sure the pipes don't crack! [​IMG]

3. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Namaskar,

I use one of the standard waterers and I stand it up on a small barbeque base, this stops the wood shavings getting in there most of the time. It was pretty cold here this winter but only once did the water freeze.

But I have seen lots of good ideas on here for making them and my son made one up following the directions and it works fine. I will also be looking for one to help with possible freezing next winter but due to the cold I was keeping a very close eye on the girls anyway last year. Good luck.

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    We found one with a green bottom that we like. It has a handle for hanging and a rounded top, so the chickens cannot sit on it and legs on the bottom that extend out, so you can elevate the container off the floor, thus preventing stuff from being kicked into the water. We don't have to deal with severe freezing, so I cannot tell you about that aspect of it.
    It still gets messy, but stays cleaner a lot longer. We also use bundt type cake pans around the yard. We put a stick in the ground and place the water filled pan over the stick. The stick anchors the pan preventing it from being tipped over. This works for the dog as well. We get our pans at second hand stores or garage sales.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by