Recommend an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Just a Country Girl, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Just a Country Girl

Just a Country Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    N.H.
    I'm a beginner on hatching eggs and would like some recommendations on a good incubator that I can just plug in, set and add eggs of all types. Something in the 3 to $400 range

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Brinsea Octagon 40. Temps stays stable and doesnt fluctuate with the room temp. Works great. Always get amazing hatches when I use it.

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    If I had that money I'd buy a Dickey, or save a little more and buy a dickey. You can shell that out for a brinsea and have a minor fraction of the capacity you'd get with a dickey. While a large bator sounds like TOO much at first. BELIEVE me, once you're hooked on hatching the larger capacity bators are the way to go.

If you'll never ever want to hatch more than 20 - 40 eggs then sure brinsea works. Good bator.

But if I'm shelling out a few hundred, being able to hatch a few hundred makes more sense to me for the same money.

Mr. Dickey makes a gorgeous and well built bator, that is excellent and well recommended here and other places. There's also the nice facet of dealing with a small private company run by a very friendly gentleman, who will talk to you in person about what you need and want.

I build my own now, when I have it saved up, I want a dickey.

4. Just a Country Girl

Mar 1, 2009
    N.H.
    Is that what you use for your Calls?

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Yup, and I always get great hatches. So far this year I have gotten 3 out of 4 call duck eggs to hatch. 4, 100% salmon faverolle hatches, and 3, 100% light brahma hatches.

6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Generally speaking it depends how many eggs you plan to hatch.

If you plan to hatch about 40 at a time consider Brinsea 40 and other models, also Lyon makes awsom bators.

If more than 40 cabinet incubator is recommended.

Sportsman or Dickey, but it will set you back for more than 400 bucks unless you can get a used one.

Just don't be cheap and do not buy styrofoam incubator either $40 one, or $160 one unless you like to play with it and adjust it day and night, not to mention cleaning mess after the hatch.

7. Just a Country Girl

Mar 1, 2009
    N.H.
    I don't think I'd ever hatch more then forty eggs. I work a lot so need something simple that does everything on it's own, turn eggs etc. Something Blond proof LOL

8. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:Oh you want a Blond proof one, hmmmmm I dont think they make one. [​IMG] [​IMG] Im J/K.
    ETA: I love the sportsmans we have, they are going on 10 years old and never done anything to them. Set the temp and humidity and walk away. The bator does the rest. Ive also heard good things about dickeys too, though Ive never had one.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  9. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    I have to agree on the Dickey. I have not had one yet, but it will be my next incubator. Having spoken to several people and comparing the quality to the Sportsman, I decided on the Dickey.

Of course, it all depends on how many eggs you plan to hatch and the price of the eggs. If you are ever hatching more than 40-50 eggs per month or if the eggs are somewhat expensive, a cabinet model can probably be justified (of course, that is up to you). For me, the price difference is insignificant enough between a Brinsea and a Dickey, to justify the Dickey.

10. Just a Country Girl

Mar 1, 2009
    N.H.
    B. Saffles Farms :

Quote:Oh you want a Blond proof one, hmmmmm I dont think they make one. [​IMG] [​IMG] Im J/K.
    ETA: I love the sportsmans we have, they are going on 10 years old and never done anything to them. Set the temp and humidity and walk away. The bator does the rest. Ive also heard good things about dickeys too, though Ive never had one.

LOL...Set the temp and the Humidity and just walk away? Is it the same with the Dickeys? This sounds like what I'm looking for.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by