Recommend "First-Aid" kit for new chick owner to have on hand?

prairiepearls

Songster
12 Years
Jan 2, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
What would you recommend that a first-time chick owner have on hand to deal with any problems that might come up? I will be getting three chicks (large fowl, haven't decided which breeds yet) around March 23, probably from a local feed store. I have most of what I need as far as cage, bedding, feeder, waterer, chick grit, and heat lamp assembled, but I'm worried about all the problems I read about on here: pasty butt, failure to thrive, getting picked on by the others, etc.

I'm thinking some plain yogurt, electrolytes (from the feed store?) -- what else? I'd rather have the basic chick first-aid kit on hand than have to run out to the not-very-close feed store if I have a problem.

Hey, I'm bumping my thread! Y'all don't want my babies to die in my clumsy hands, do you?
big_smile.png
Seriously, I'd love some ideas on this!

I pulled out my own first aid (bird) kit, and this is what is in it, though it is just my own (probably OCD idea of what I want around for my birds:

Vitamin and electrolyte mix
Poly-vi-sol infant vitamin drops without iron
antibiotic ointment without pain reliever (triple antibiotic or neosporin, etc.) but no additives ending in "caine" as it is very hazardous to birds
Blu-kote (antiseptic and camouflage for pecked/injured areas) and q-tips and gloves to apply it as it will stain you as readily as it stains them
Vicks vaporub or black salve or rooster booster pick-no-more to discourage picking of feathers
Betadine povidone scrub solution to water down and use on wounds---very helpful to have some bottled water around---just squirt a little betadine in the water until it looks like weak tea
to squirt on wounds
Aspirin
Baby applesauce to mix with crumbles if a sick bird
Wazine (piperazine) for worming birds (round worm)
Preparation H cream for use in case of prolapse
Petroleum jelly
Vet wrap in case you need to splint a leg---popsicle sticks in case of a break you need to stabilize, yourself
eyedropper
x-acto knife
Dawn dishwashing detergent
I have a few syringes and needles and an antibiotic powder as well because when something goes wrong, most often the store is closed.
I also have Ivermectin pour-on in case I need it for other varieties of worms. (I don't need it yet, but it was on sale at the feed store)
Also organic apple cider vinegar (with the mother in it)

I don't have VetRx, but plan on adding it, just in case

Hope this helps

I always have blu kote spary or powder on hand for injuries. I think it's a miracle in a bottle. I also have a little honey on hand in case a bird gets lethargic. If I notice a bird looking less energetic or lethargic, a little drop of honey sometimes helps.

I also have electrolytes and Vetrx. Veterycin is another great product to use for injuries or infections. I recently used it when my ducks and goose were attached by a dog and it helped heal them up faster than I would have ever imagined. We have it on hand for the birds, the dogs and the horses.

Dora'smom :

I pulled out my own first aid (bird) kit, and this is what is in it, though it is just my own (probably OCD idea of what I want around for my birds:

Vitamin and electrolyte mix
Poly-vi-sol infant vitamin drops without iron
antibiotic ointment without pain reliever (triple antibiotic or neosporin, etc.) but no additives ending in "caine" as it is very hazardous to birds
Blu-kote (antiseptic and camouflage for pecked/injured areas) and q-tips and gloves to apply it as it will stain you as readily as it stains them
Vicks vaporub or black salve or rooster booster pick-no-more to discourage picking of feathers
Betadine povidone scrub solution to water down and use on wounds---very helpful to have some bottled water around---just squirt a little betadine in the water until it looks like weak tea
to squirt on wounds
Aspirin
Baby applesauce to mix with crumbles if a sick bird
Wazine (piperazine) for worming birds (round worm)
Preparation H cream for use in case of prolapse
Petroleum jelly
Vet wrap in case you need to splint a leg---popsicle sticks in case of a break you need to stabilize, yourself
eyedropper
x-acto knife
Dawn dishwashing detergent
I have a few syringes and needles and an antibiotic powder as well because when something goes wrong, most often the store is closed.
I also have Ivermectin pour-on in case I need it for other varieties of worms. (I don't need it yet, but it was on sale at the feed store)
Also organic apple cider vinegar (with the mother in it)

I don't have VetRx, but plan on adding it, just in case

Hope this helps

Do you actually give chicken aspirins?
hu.gif

Dora's mom & Miss Dottie -- exactly the kind of information I was looking for, & I'm printing out the thread! Thanks bunches!!

OCD? Bought it on sale even tho you don't need it yet? Are you sure you're not me, Dora's mom?
lol.png

But now I have more questions!
big_smile.png
I've had kids, dogs & cats, but some of the items you mention are unfamiliar to me:

The vitamin and electrolyte mix -- is this one item that you buy, or something you mix yourself? Where does one buy it?
Also, are these things you get at a feed store, or a pet supply place, or from the vet?:
Blu-kote
Betadine povidone scrub solution
antibiotic powder
Wazine (piperazine)
ivermectin
veterycin (Miss Dottie)
Vet Rx (what is this?)

vet wrap - is that the stretchy, sticky-on-one-side stuff the vet uses to hold gauze on?

And probably a really dumb question - but what on earth is "mother" and what's she doing in the vinegar??
hide.gif

Hi! The electrolyte mix I use is Quick Chick from McMurray Hatchery. I'm sure there are plenty of other products out there that are great and this one has worked for me. Blu kote can be purchased from some feed stores or tack stores or vet supply places. VetRx, I got it at a local feed store a long time ago. Betadine can be purchased from vet supply places. Veterycin is carried at feed and tack stores and vet supply places in my area. I live in So Cal and it is everywhere out here now, not sure about everywhere else. I found out about it because the owner of the co. that makes it is a client of my dad. They have a regular strength and vet strength. The regular can be purchased at regular places and you can get the vet strength from your vet if they use it. They used to only have a liquid, but now they have a gel in a spray bottle that is easier to apply.

And yes, vet wrap is the stretchy, semi sticky wrap.

Not sure about the mother in vinegar? I'm curious about that too!

Thank you, Miss Dottie! I had forgotten about the vet supply store in my area -- I used to buy prescription cat food there, and they were always great.

Back
Top Bottom