Recommend grower feed

Sherri1990

Songster
Jun 4, 2020
I would Like to keep my 22 week old hens on grower feed and offer oyster shell on the side. I bought them a really great feed that is seeds and dried bugs... and they will only eat the seeds! I have dried pellet shaped bugs all over my yard! Can any one recommend a good feed that is not all soy and filler... with no dried bugs...?

My avian vet said that the calcium can be to high and it’s better to let them regulate it themselves.

My avian vet said that the calcium can be to high and it’s better to let them regulate it themselves.
I don't think that the calcium is too high in layer, but to each their own. Maybe look at chewy.com to order, and then look up the feed online (e.g. look up 'dumor grower feed') and see what comes up in images?

a good feed that is not all soy and filler

I'm not sure what you mean by "filler," but a lot of chicken foods are based on corn and soy, with other things added until it's right nutritionally. The corn is not "filler," because it is providing calories, part of the protein, and certain vitamins & minerals.

Any feed described as "pelleted" or "crumbles" should have the ingredients ground up and mixed together, then shaped into whatever form. Because everything is ground & mixed together, the chickens cannot pick through and eat some parts while skipping others.

I would try whatever is in your local feed store, and see how it works, before searching for things that might be more expensive or difficult to get. The important thing is whether your chickens eat it willingly and do well on it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "filler," but a lot of chicken foods are based on corn and soy, with other things added until it's right nutritionally. The corn is not "filler," because it is providing calories, part of the protein, and certain vitamins & minerals.

Any feed described as "pelleted" or "crumbles" should have the ingredients ground up and mixed together, then shaped into whatever form. Because everything is ground & mixed together, the chickens cannot pick through and eat some parts while skipping others.

I would try whatever is in your local feed store, and see how it works, before searching for things that might be more expensive or difficult to get. The important thing is whether your chickens eat it willingly and do well on it.
Maybe I should explain my concern. I had a duck many years ago that was either laying a soft rubbery egg or egg bound. It was sooo awful. :( I don’t want this to happen to y sweet hens. I want to make sure they have the best I can get for them.

I jut read another post of yours...it seems you are feeding a whole GRAIN type feed and your birds are picking any choosing which seed they want to eat or not, correct?
This is going to cause problems.
I am glad to hear you are looking for a crumble type grower feed.
The best place to look is at your local feed store unless you don't mind paying for shipping.

I don't think that the calcium is too high in layer, but to each their own. Maybe look at chewy.com to order, and then look up the feed online (e.g. look up 'dumor grower feed') and see what comes up in images?
Do you use a layer feed? If so what brand?

I jut read another post of yours...it seems you are feeding a whole GRAIN type feed and your birds are picking any choosing which seed they want to eat or not, correct?
This is going to cause problems.
I am glad to hear you are looking for a crumble type grower feed.
The best place to look is at your local feed store unless you don't mind paying for shipping.
That’s exactly what they are doing! It’s to much money for them to waste half of the food. I leave out the dumor grower crumble for them and oyster shell but they are only picking at the feed.

Back
Top Bottom