Recommendation for 4 Bird kit Coop in Washington State

Daniel 1950

Hatching
Aug 28, 2019
Shelton, Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I've decided to start caring for chickens. My first pets since a childhood dog. Need all the help I can get. Which quality kit for 4 chickens is a GOOD manufacture for under $500? Wayfair seems to have an unlimited supply of 'cheap' coop to stay away from. I have a 7'x9' cement slab if that's advisable. Unlimited flat ground. What do y'all think? Thanks, Daniel

Most the prefab kits are not worth the money.
Terrible designs and crappy materials.
Especially DO NOT believe the number of birds they purport to house...
...cut the number in half, at least.

Many newbies make the pre-fab kit mistake and greatly regret it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/72122963/?q=prefab+coops&t=post&o=date&c[title_only]=1

My advise is to do lots of reading here before choosing a coop,
and get your coop before you get birds.

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @Daniel 1950
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-8-28_16-53-57.png

Most the prefab kits are not worth the money.
Terrible designs and crappy materials.
Especially DO NOT believe the number of birds they purport to house...
...cut the number in half, at least.

Many newbies make the pre-fab kit mistake and greatly regret it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/72122963/?q=prefab+coops&t=post&o=date&c[title_only]=1

My advise is to do lots of reading here before choosing a coop,
and get your coop before you get birds.

Oh, and... Welcome to BYC! @Daniel 1950
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1891563

I suspected as much from what I've read. So my next question is...Who's going to build me one? I'm in N.W. Washington State. Have plenty of acreage. Temps between 17-85 F. I'm looking to spent $500 just for the Coop. Know of anyone in NW WA who does this sort of thing? Thanks, Daniel

I’m sure you can find a good prefab kit but I wouldn’t recommend it. I got one that was well recommended and it didn’t even make it through one summer before it was falling apart. The problem is they use the cheapest lightest materials in the kits. It makes for easy assembly and cheaper shipping but the products usually don’t hold up. If I did get another prefab coop I would make sure to paint and weather proof it as much as possible before you get your birds.

4-5 hens. All ground is puddle free. If I let the birds out of the coop on the slab to forage, is it a problem getting them back in with relative ease? Will check the site for builders. Thanks for all your help. My whole life I've been getting my eggs @ Safeway!

Back
Top Bottom