Recommendation for candeler/flashlight for goose eggs???

Dion Fiacre

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2016
PNW
I thought I had a really good flashlight. I could see my duck eggs very well with it, but it isn't working at all for my goose eggs. Can anyone recommend something that would work really well for goose eggs? Thank you

Yes, I'm almost at day 5 with them and I could see my ducks at day 3. I think the shell is too thick for me to see the delicate blood veins and embryo yet. I can wait till day 7 or 10 if I need to and maybe I will be able to see something then...(if there is something to see). I know a lot of people wait till day 7 to candle. I am just anxious I guess to see what is going on.

Last edited:
I would definitely wait until a later day. The goose egg that I incubated last year did not show any signs of development until day 5 if I remember correctly. Geese, unlike ducks, usually take a little longer to develop, (around 1-5 days longer) so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Hello.....Happy New Year....

This is my issue.......I have two Broody Chicken Hens That insist on setting eggs....I got tired of trying to break them to only get broody two weeks later....

Anyways....My Ducks have been Breeding and laying Eggs like Wildfire here....I gave my Hens 8 Duck eggs.......Some are 10 days and some are only 5 days.....Have I waited too long to Candle the eggs?......First time trying this so it is more of a Science project and I am not that concerned if they do not hatch....I have an incubator for Spring when I really want to hatch out eggs.....

Any info would be greatly appreciated.....

Cheers!

You can candle the eggs whenever you like. I use an incubator more than a broody hen and I candle mine every day. I have the same hatch rates no matter what I do.

Yes, I'm almost at day 5 with them and I could see my ducks at day 3. I think the shell is too thick for me to see the delicate blood veins and embryo yet. I can wait till day 7 or 10 if I need to and maybe I will be able to see something then...(if there is something to see). I know a lot of people wait till day 7 to candle. I am just anxious I guess to see what is going on.

So, did any of your goslings hatch, or are they still incubating? I'm not sure which breed you have, and I do not know how long they have been incubating either. Were you able to see the embryos though the egg shell?

Yes, they just don't show until around day 5-7. I had one die...lots of reasons, partly a due to a detached air sac and then pipping at the wrong place etc. I helped it out, but it couldn't make it. Since then I had two that weren't fertile.

So, I am now 5 for 5 with 14 fertile eggs more to go. My goose lays an egg every day or every other day, so I collect them and put them into the incubator. (I try to get them still warm from her.) I have two other incubators that I can use for lockdown purposes.

Back
Top Bottom