Recommendations for a fan and mister?

Serotonin

Chirping
Jul 18, 2022
Hey everyone! We're transitioning our chicks to their outdoor 8x8 coop this weekend, but live in a hot climate where temperatures in the summer range 90-100 degrees nearly every day, so we'd like to get a fan for the coop and a fan/mister for the run to help keep them cool. We've done quite a bit of research into it, but there are just so many options that we're feeling a little overwhelmed. Does anyone have any recommendations for fans and misters that they find particularly effective? Our preference would be a tank mister as the nearest water hookup is quite far away. I've noticed the chicks don't really start panting until around the 85/86 degree mark, so we'd ideally like to have something that cools the air around 15-20 degrees.

We were looking particularly at this MaxxAir one or this even higher powered MaxAir one from Tractor Supply - has anyone ever used these? They don't have many reviews online.

If anyone has any additional cooling tips, that'd be great too. I plan on getting a small kiddie pool that they can cool their feet in, providing frozen treats, and wetting the dirt a bit where I can.

Ryobi has battery operated fans, 3 versions- 18 in. Air cannon, and 2 smaller with one having a mister that I believe runs off a 5 gallon bucket. We have the larger one and the smaller one that doesn't mist. I absolutely love mine. Home Depot does special sales for them at times on their website. 🙂

Ryobi has battery operated fans, 3 versions- 18 in. Air cannon, and 2 smaller with one having a mister that I believe runs off a 5 gallon bucket. We have the larger one and the smaller one that doesn't mist. I absolutely love mine. Home Depot does special sales for them at times on their website. 🙂
unfortunately it looks like HD discontinued the fan that works with a 5 gallon bucket. Kind of sucks since I didn't know it existed and went looking for it after reading your post and its unavailable and cant be picked up or ordered. Seems like it would be an awesome temp use setup.

unfortunately it looks like HD discontinued the fan that works with a 5 gallon bucket. Kind of sucks since I didn't know it existed and went looking for it after reading your post and its unavailable and cant be picked up or ordered. Seems like it would be an awesome temp use setup.
Ah darn! I'm sorry. I looked on Amazon and found this one. It's more expensive but under other sellers there is a new option 3rd one down shipped from Amazon. It's looks like you'll need a battery and water tube. https://a.co/d/d8xY60b

This is what I use.

Attachments

• 83CCA815-A2E1-4EC1-9F6A-C901F621A943.png
    83CCA815-A2E1-4EC1-9F6A-C901F621A943.png
    751.8 KB · Views: 14
Tried the mister when it first got hot this summer. Chicken HATED it. Seemed to stir them up more than anything, instead of allowing them to rest during heat of the day.

So I switched to freezing blocks of ice in a book bin (it’s what I had and could fit in the freezer). Dump the block of ice in their favorite shady spot. They lay around it and stand on it to keep cool. It melts and then there’s no mess to clean up!

If there wasn’t any breeze on a particularly hot day, I would run a box fan (aimed at them from outside the run).

Ah darn! I'm sorry. I looked on Amazon and found this one. It's more expensive but under other sellers there is a new option 3rd one down shipped from Amazon. It's looks like you'll need a battery and water tube. https://a.co/d/d8xY60b

Thanks for the suggestion! Do your chickens seem to like it? Does it get them wet or is it more of a fine mist? We've read some reviews on different misters that they just kind of spit water out, which some chickens don't like/avoid.

Tried the mister when it first got hot this summer. Chicken HATED it. Seemed to stir them up more than anything, instead of allowing them to rest during heat of the day.

So I switched to freezing blocks of ice in a book bin (it’s what I had and could fit in the freezer). Dump the block of ice in their favorite shady spot. They lay around it and stand on it to keep cool. It melts and then there’s no mess to clean up!

If there wasn’t any breeze on a particularly hot day, I would run a box fan (aimed at them from outside the run).

Thanks for the suggestion with the ice block! That's a smart idea. I'll probably have both that and a mister because it does get very hot here (it was 106 today).

Thanks for the suggestion with the ice block! That's a smart idea. I'll probably have both that and a mister because it does get very hot here (it was 106 today).
It’s worth a shot! Maybe they will love it. Just be sure they have a way to get out of the spray and still be in a safe, shady/cooler place, in case they hate the water.

Back
Top Bottom