Recommendations needed for feeder/waterer for 6 Hens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OCChicken, May 16, 2009.

1. OCChicken

OCChicken Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    What is the "Best" all around size feeder and waterer for 6 layers. Galvanized or Plastic? Homemade or Manufactured?

Thanks,
    OCC

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Personal preference; they all have their pros and cons. Galvanized waterers last a lot longer than plastic, unless you dent or bend them. You can't put apple cider vinegar in galvanized waterers, only plastic. If you purchase, be sure it's easy to take apart to fill and clean (don't ask me how I know.) Plastic waterers that are designed to be hung from the ceiling tend to break easily, and do better set on blocks or whatever. Chickens will stand and poop on tops if there isn't something obstructing them. I keep a string tied to the handle on my galvanized waterer, for example, which is also tied about 3' above it; otherwise they stand up there and poop in the water. Plastic does not hold up too well if in the sun for long hours.

I've never made either. Looks to me like a waterer would be trickier than a feeder.

I'm sure there is a lot more info out there on the subject.

Hope this helps.

3. codybird

codybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Myrtle Beach
    Do a search here for "homemade waterer" for a few ideas.

There are thousands.

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I have the simple plastic gallon waterer which like because its easy to clean and take apart. It needs to be filled everyday and because Im going away for a couple days, I have 4 new chicks that will be using it in the future, and I dont want my chicken sitter to have to go in and be attacked by Don...Im making one with a 5 gallon bucket and a hog pan I saw on here. THat way I wont have to refill every day or worry about them running out if its a hot day or I cant get out there in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by