Recommendations on coop bedding, nesting material and run floor material

Hello,

What I currently do with my coop is the deep litter method with hemp. Recently I tried using just one bag of hemp to see if I preferred cleaning more frequently, but after a month it smelled really bad; it didn't when I was using 3 bag of hemp and the deep litter method. I was a little grossed out by the concept, but it never smelled. However, 1 bag of hemp is about $100, so it's $300 every time I change it, which is 2-4x/year.
For their nesting boxes I've been using nesting pads, but they're about $40 for 10. Some of the chickens soil in them, so I have to clean them the best I can and then just toss and replace. It gets expensive. I was thinking of use straw, but not sure what the best options are.
In the run floor I have mulch and I HATE IT! It doesn't break down and it just smells horrible. My chickens free range so it's not like they're confined to the run constantly. I don't know what to do for the run floor. Just dirt? Bedding?

My question is, what can I do for bedding/nesting/run that would work the same but is more affordable? Would pine or aspen be fine? Should I just stick with hemp (which I really like). What should I use in the nesting boxes? Run floor?

Thank you for any guidance!
I do not have a chicken coop/run yet, but i jave spent about 20-30 hours researching everything, so we can build and plan well. I am reading that construction sand is great in chicken runs. You can use a shovel sifter, like a giant kitty litter scooper, to sift out the chicken poo. The sand will absorb and clump it. It's less costly than what you are describing.

I do coarsening shavings in the nest boxes and tip them on the coop floor if they become dirty (eg if someone sleeps overnight in the nest box).
On the coop floor I use leaves that I get free from the trees in the back yard. I also add some shredded paper and bits of cardboard from time to time.
All this works its way out into the run which gets damper than the cool so it rots down faster once it is in the run.
I don’t ever clean it out but I do sometimes rake out under the roosts if a big poop pile is developing.
Important to know I have a dirt floor in both coop and run so worms and soil bacteria are constantly cleaning up for me.

We use pine shavings (and it helps that the hubby makes plenty with his woodworking). We haven’t added more than a sprinkling layer every month or two and so far I’m amazed that the coop doesn’t smell. I do occasionally open it up to grab a couple scoops of the poopiest bits for dry/browns in our compost tumbler (chicken poop is so delish for the garden). So, maybe that’s also reduced the build up a little but we’re going on 6 months and it’s so far seems reasonably clean (as far as poopy coops go).

Back
Top Bottom