Recommendations please for most PREDATOR SAVVY breeds! :-)

I like your description better then

his
yuckyuck.gif
I really want red jungle fowl so give me yours and no one gets hurt
lau.gif
! if they have chicks in winter then i could sell them
th.gif

I better keep mine... I love them!
big_smile.png
I've had ove 10 good years of experience with the breed, but it sounds like centrarchid may be willing to sell.

Well my first response is none. I would go with the OEG bantam if you are looking for insect contol and if your main threat is ground pedators during the day. Mine are excellent flyers. Although I have no issues really with ground predators when my son brings over his lab a dog they are not familiar with they take to the coop roof and trees almost immediately.
I don't know how they would fair with a hawks due to their size. My roosters spot them and warn and the girls take cover. I also like them because they only give the hawk call when the bird is a bird of prey and not the neighborhood doves flying over like other roosters I've had.

I better keep mine... I love them!
big_smile.png
I've had ove 10 good years of experience with the breed, but it sounds like centrarchid may be willing to sell.

WHERE DOES HE LIVE?!?! I WANT JUNGLE FOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
somad.gif
rant.gif
!!!!!!! DOES HE SHIP?????? I WANT JUNGLE FOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHERE DOES HE LIVE?!?! I WANT JUNGLE FOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
somad.gif
rant.gif
!!!!!!! DOES HE SHIP?????? I WANT JUNGLE FOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not sell red jungle fowl or American games. Former can be acquired from Cackle Hatchery that is about 1 hour south of me in Lebanon, MO. If acquired, then I strongly recommend hand raising them for 1st five weeks so they will be imprinted on you. Brooder reared is not the same as hand reared; hand reared means they will leave brooder and hang with you whether food is present or not, just like they do with mother. They can be trained to come to individual names when something like mealworms is used as an enticement. Cackle Hatchery also carries multiple colortypes of what they call Old English games that are similar to my American games. Cackle's Old English games may very well be American games bred to look like Old English. The larger size of the games will be an advantage with predators like hawks that will take smaller (red jungle fowl / juveniles / females / bantams) individuals first.

Red jungle fowl are a species, not a breed. They are also a lot smarter than typical chickens and respond well to training. Despite being wild (not domesticated), they are like American crows in that they can be tamed very easily to the point where they treat you like family which most domestic chickens do not do as easily. I say again, they are smart especially when it comes to getting food. They also have a more complex language than domestic chickens.

OK thanks. Now I HAVE to get them!!! Theres a chicken breeder in Palmer so I might be able to convince my mom to get them from there otherwise I'll have to wait till spring to get them
hit.gif

They sound like awesome chickens! I mostly wanted them because I like fighting birds (their colors, shape
droolin.gif
etc) but now that I know this I HAVE to get them!! I've always wanted a chicken pet, like an actual pet, but we have no hawks where we live (
celebrate.gif
) but the thing that most commonly kills our chicks is this stupid raven, Fried Chicken, who I've never actually seen him eat one but its either him or the gray jays and I think its more likely Fried Chicken (his name). I MUST HAVE JUNGLE FOWL!!!

OK thanks. Now I HAVE to get them!!! Theres a chicken breeder in Palmer so I might be able to convince my mom to get them from there otherwise I'll have to wait till spring to get them
hit.gif

They sound like awesome chickens! I mostly wanted them because I like fighting birds (their colors, shape
droolin.gif
etc) but now that I know this I HAVE to get them!! I've always wanted a chicken pet, like an actual pet, but we have no hawks where we live (
celebrate.gif
) but the thing that most commonly kills our chicks is this stupid raven, Fried Chicken, who I've never actually seen him eat one but its either him or the gray jays and I think its more likely Fried Chicken (his name). I MUST HAVE JUNGLE FOWL!!!

Jungle fowl are not fighting birds, they just look similar with the red jungle fowl being noticeably smaller. You almost certainly have hawks.

Back
Top Bottom