Recommended daily allowance for chicks (as a rule)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dudefromtampa, Nov 8, 2013.

1. dudefromtampa

dudefromtampa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    I've seen postings in terms of pounds for chickens but I have my chickens segregated into three different small flocks. Does anyone know, in simple terms (cups or ounces) per day each chicken should intake? I know this differs per breed, age, time of year, etc...but was just looking for a ballpark figure (approximation). My wife and I feed the chicks scraps from the kitchen, in addition to the normal chicken feed we get from the local mill.

Just trying to figure out if I under or over feed them.

I let them out several days a week, depending on my schedule - to range but with the winter here now (any day), free-ranging is a thing of the past - until next spring.

Thanks much for any input on this.

Joe

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Chickens won't overeat regular chicken chow.
    As a general rule, without much foraging I get about 6 or 7 days out of 20 pounds for 7 adult LF.

At 20 weeks a laying breed at about 3 pounds should eat about .14 lbs. a day.
    Same age for a meat bird at 5 pounds will eat almost a half pound a day.

3. dudefromtampa

dudefromtampa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Thank you for that. Most of my chickens are adult or will be very soon. So I figure with it being winter and all, I will give them about what I am now, which is about 1 - 1 1/2 cups a day, in addition to their free-ranging and table scraps. So they should be g-2-g. Thanks again for your input ChickenCanoe.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The best way to feed birds is to keep feeders filled all the time and let them eat what they want

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by