Recommended reading

Elinor's chicks

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 26, 2009
Lexington KY
There might already be a thread about this, but I didn't see one.

Does anyone have any particular recommendations on valuable reading for the new chicken owner something that chicken owners regard as their 'bible' when it comes to raising chickens?

I have "Living with Chickens" by Jay Rossier and "Hobby Farm Chickens" by Sue Weaver, and they are both pretty good.

In my opinion you're set. 2 books and BYC is all you need. You may find like I did, that some of the advice in books differs from BYC people, and the BYC people here are always right! Not joking, I have the Storeys guide to raising chickens... While most of it is excellent information, it has a super bad suggestion to mix grower feed 50/50 with oats while pullets are growing. I did that and then learned from a wise BYC'er that it's like mixing veggies with candy for your toddler and then wondering why they are picking throught the veggies to eat only candy! HAH, I always refered to BYC for a 2nd opinion on whatever I read in the book after that one. GOOD LUCK< HAVE FUN!

Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens is the best followed very closely by Raising Chickens for Dummies and Backyard Poultry magazine. BYC is the best place though.

Backyard Poultry Magazine has been very helpful for me.

Gail Damerow of Storey's Guide fame often writes articles for it, so I tend to think of it as "updates" for the chicken bible.

Harvey Ussery's articles are interesting but are getting too preachy

Back
Top Bottom