Reconsidering my chicken dreams....

The old coop doesn't look too bad.... A quick repair might be able to get it to last a little longer. :) I know with the Church, it was when I fell through the floor that that coop was done. It took a lot of repairs over the years, and that last winter finished it. There was no more repairing it. It had to be burned. We wasn't able to save much from it, except for the cross, door, and maybe a couple boards.

Thanks for the info!

I had 5 chickenless years after retiring my in-town flock because I was working long hours at a highly physical job and was too tired to take care of chickens as well as my family. Then my life changed and I got chickens again.

That said, consider @Lacy Duckwing's point about whether you're investing a lot of extra effort into your birds that isn't really necessary.

For example, you might be scooping poop daily. I know that the sand-and-scoop people talk about how it "only takes 5 minutes" but I know that for me it's stressful and annoying to have a list of those "only takes 5 minutes" chores hanging over my head every single day no matter how I feel or what else I have to do.

In the article I wrote on Deep Bedding, I calculated first that I couldn't possibly get tools, scoop, add the manure to my compost pile, and put tools away in less than 10 minutes -- which adds up to 70 minutes a week, 4.5 hours per month. But with Deep Bedding in my coop I can schedule 1 hour of work every 6-12 weeks in good weather on a day off.

Deep Litter in the run likewise takes only a little work to add new material once every month or 6 weeks (maybe less often depending on the material), and can be cleaned out once a year in favorable circumstances.

You might be using a labor-intensive feeding regimen such as fermented feed, wet feed, or measured and scheduled feedings. Life is much less stressful if you fill a good-quality hanging feeder with all-flock pellets or crumble once or twice a week (according to the size of the feeder and the number of chickens you have).

Likewise, if you're using open waterers and have the labor of cleaning and refilling them daily -- or even multiple times a day -- you could switch to large waterers with horizontal nipples (I'm currently in the process of replacing my smaller waterers with larger ones to eliminate filling the small waterers as a daily chore).

If you showed us photos of your setup and talked to us about your daily routine we might find ways to reduce the stress of the daily chores. :)

This would be best answered on it's own thread. When you make that thread be sure to tag me since I'm in NC too.
GOSPEL!!! 🙌

Any particular reason why you have 3 separate flocks? Are you breeding? You've trebled your work right there.

Why can't you combine all the flocks into one big coop (a shed will do, you can often get reclaimed ones on local ad listings). Sell your other coops to go towards the cost. I've had bantams and large fowl together with no problem. It will take a couple of weeks to integrate them all, and then you've got ONE coop to clean. They've ALL got more space to forage and roam, and you can ease the pressure on yourself.

I don't know if I want to use Craigs list..... just "anyone" could come get them and lie about their housing and care.....
I completely understand your reservations about using CL. You can also find great homes that way. It is how I found my ducks. I go above and beyond what most poultry pet owners provide for their animals and my ducks even get yearly wellness exams and expensive surgery if they need it.

The woman who gave them to me had a specific set of criteria I had to meet and visited my home twice before bringing me my ducks.

But, it also feels weird listing a loved pet where you might put a discarded dresser...

Any particular reason why you have 3 separate flocks? Are you breeding? You've trebled your work right there.

Why can't you combine all the flocks into one big coop (a shed will do, you can often get reclaimed ones on local ad listings). Sell your other coops to go towards the cost. I've had bantams and large fowl together with no problem. It will take a couple of weeks to integrate them all, and then you've got ONE coop to clean. They've ALL got more space to forage and roam, and you can ease the pressure on yourself.

I see your point, but unfortunately this probably won't work for me. I only have 1 shed on my property that could be turned into a coop....but it's already in use with lawn mowers, rakes, a green house, old hoses, snow shovels, sleds, etc. The shed isn't *mine* and I couldn't just suddenly say "this is a chicken coop now". I've said jokingly that the shed would make a perfect chicken coop, and the answer is always negative.

My flocks are different age groups and sizes. I got them months (almost years) apart. No I'm not breeding, it's just how it happened.

I see your point, but unfortunately this probably won't work for me. I only have 1 shed on my property that could be turned into a coop....but it's already in use with lawn mowers, rakes, a green house, old hoses, snow shovels, sleds, etc. The shed isn't *mine* and I couldn't just suddenly say "this is a chicken coop now". I've said jokingly that the shed would make a perfect chicken coop, and the answer is always negative.

My flocks are different age groups and sizes. I got them months (almost years) apart. No I'm not breeding, it's just how it happened.
I meant get another shed (off Craig's list for cheap) and replace all the coops with it. Not turf out your dad's mower for the chickens 😂

Then look at carefully integrating the flocks into one. It will save you so much work and time in the long run. I have a mixed flock of 20, with a gazillion different breeds, from 4 weeks to 3 years old currently.

I meant get another shed (off Craig's list for cheap) and replace all the coops with it. Not turf out your dad's mower for the chickens 😂

Then look at carefully integrating the flocks into one. It will save you so much work and time in the long run. I have a mixed flock of 20, with a gazillion different breeds, from 4 weeks to 3 years old currently.

hmmmm

Yesterday I had to purchase more chicken feed. I also (finally) got a feeder for my bantams.
P1020530.jpeg
$32.00

Back
Top Bottom