Reconsidering my chicken dreams....

I haven't read this entire thread, but your initial post resonates with me.

I LOVE my chickens. Chickens are LIFE. But we moved a year ago, and my current setup isn't nearly as nice as our old one. My chickens don't look as gorgeous as they used to in spite of my daily care, cleaning, etc. I just finished dealing with a rat infestation in the coop. My rooster hates me. I have one hen who can't shake bumblefoot. I have another who, despite all my intervention, can't grow feathers. And now I have one that will NOT stop being broody (I have tried everything suggested on BYC and then some).

Now I'm sitting here in my livingroom with the 3 babies I just bought in an attempt to break my hen who is brooding herself to death. Of course, she rejected them. Of course she did.

I feel defeated. What used to bring me joy is now just making me feel like a failure.

Like you, I'm considering selling my flock. I am not the chicken mama I once was. I would never blame anyone for deciding to stop keeping chickens if it isn't right for them. It'd be so much worse to keep them if they don't bring you joy anymore. It takes courage to make the change. I find it admirable to be honest about it.

I haven't read this entire thread, but your initial post resonates with me.

I LOVE my chickens. Chickens are LIFE. But we moved a year ago, and my current setup isn't nearly as nice as our old one. My chickens don't look as gorgeous as they used to in spite of my daily care, cleaning, etc. I just finished dealing with a rat infestation in the coop. My rooster hates me. I have one hen who can't shake bumblefoot. I have another who, despite all my intervention, can't grow feathers. And now I have one that will NOT stop being broody (I have tried everything suggested on BYC and then some).

Now I'm sitting here in my livingroom with the 3 babies I just bought in an attempt to break my hen who is brooding herself to death. Of course, she rejected them. Of course she did.

I feel defeated. What used to bring me joy is now just making me feel like a failure.

Like you, I'm considering selling my flock. I am not the chicken mama I once was. I would never blame anyone for deciding to stop keeping chickens if it isn't right for them. It'd be so much worse to keep them if they don't bring you joy anymore. It takes courage to make the change. I find it admirable to be honest about it.

I'm so sorry. You situation sounds almost worse than mine!

Yesterday I had to purchase more chicken feed. I also (finally) got a feeder for my bantams.
View attachment 2776836$32.00
Oh good. On the feeder. $32.00 isn't that bad. My dog's food costs more than that a bag! :eek: I go Poulin Grain on everything, and for my hens' special grain, it's $20 a bag. Go to a local feed store, grain is sometimes cheaper there. ;)

Dh and I had been discussing chicken keeping for years before we got our chicks. I did (what I considered at the time) a lot of reading on chickens. Unfortunately, what I was reading were blogs on how amazing chickens are as pets. Things like: lap chickens, they can be trained, you get a pet with the bonus of eggs, ect. I never considered researching all the ailments that can occur because I didn't know they existed before diving deeper into this site.

That was on me, I didn't search the correct topics. When we got our chicks I learned very quickly that they are fragile little creatures. They are vulnerable and require a lot of care. I have never been so overwhelmed as a pet owner. Even now, they are grown and laying, there are many potential problems that can occur and it can feel never ending.

I fully understand it being too much. This site is an amazing source of information, but in many ways ignorance is bliss. Now that I know all the things that can go wrong, I have to actively enjoy each day as it comes with my flock. I've been trying to take the approach to do what I can and let the rest go. If it becomes too stressful, then it's not serving the original purpose of having a good time starting a new hobby.

Now that I know all the things that can go wrong, I have to actively enjoy each day as it comes with my flock. I've been trying to take the approach to do what I can and let the rest go.

A word of reassurance,

If you give your chickens plenty of space, plenty of fresh air, good food, clean water, and the ability to be chickens according to their instincts, problems are rare. :)

As an opinion, not scientific research, it seems to me that a large proportion of the problems backyard chicken keepers have are due to over-crowding, lack of ventilation, or too many treats replacing nutritious feed. :) Get the basics down and chickens are tough, resilient animals. :)

A word of reassurance,

If you give your chickens plenty of space, plenty of fresh air, good food, clean water, and the ability to be chickens according to their instincts, problems are rare. :)

As an opinion, not scientific research, it seems to me that a large proportion of the problems backyard chicken keepers have are due to over-crowding, lack of ventilation, or too many treats replacing nutritious feed. :) Get the basics down and chickens are tough, resilient animals. :)
Agreed, from what I've seen this is the most basic formula for a healthy flock. The problem is all the variables. The thing about keeping chickens is that at the end of the day, you can do everything "right" and mother nature steps in. It can be disheartening to follow the rules and still have a negative outcome, and that uncertainty can be difficult. Generally, accepting the things we can't control and fixing the things we can helps. But when the list of things to fix becomes a burden, that is taxing.

Chicken keeping isn't for everyone, I can see why. For me, the scales are tilted much more on the enjoyment side. But I'm new, and that may change over time. I hope it doesn't, but I understand everyone's circumstances and expectations are different.

Idk so chicken keeping isn't for me?
I hope that's not your take away from what I posted, I was mostly responding to the part where you said chickens aren't as easy as people make them sound. Commiserating that I, too, found this out the hard way.

You seem to enjoy your chickens enough to not sound resentful about caring for them. But as far as keeping them and powering through the low points, only you can decide if it's worth it in your own life. I know for me, it would be worth it but that isn't helpful for you. If you can shift, fix, pivot, whatever you need to do to power through and you find you have the stamina for that, then I'd say keep them. You may downsize or stop altogether and find that wasn't the answer. I wish you so much luck!!

Back
Top Bottom