Record keeping (breeding / hatching)

MrJudeRaw

Chirping
Jul 25, 2023
PNW Willamette region WA
Care to share what your record keeping categories are? maybe why you find them relevant if its not super apparent. I am building up my covey and hope to keep a few separate bloodlines of each type of bird so that means lots of record keeping but I am not sure where to start aside from the basics of tracking who the parents are etc.

I keep track of mine in One Note on my computer and/or phone. I've seen many other apps that could work probably better, but this came with my computer, and I just had to download it to my phone to have it on both. I hope others share what they use as I might change too if it sounds better!

I keep track of mine in One Note on my computer and/or phone. I've seen many other apps that could work probably better, but this came with my computer, and I just had to download it to my phone to have it on both. I hope others share what they use as I might change too if it sounds better!
I would probably just use excel actually since i am proficient with it. The question was mostly geared towards what things do you track and how do you track them / note them and why?

I would probably just use excel actually since i am proficient with it. The question was mostly geared towards what things do you track and how do you track them / note them and why?
Gotcha! I presume it would be the same thing as most poultry, and I actually made 3 different "books." One for all of the bird's hatch dates, and pertinent info, like hen/roo, first date lay egg, sold or gave away date, etc. One for their medical info/issues. And one totally for plotting the food, coop needs, repairs, etc.

I'm getting into sex-linking this spring so have to get another one going to keep track of who is breeding with who and what results were. Here's some other ideas for category wording.
1693253175014.png

Gotcha! I presume it would be the same thing as most poultry, and I actually made 3 different "books." One for all of the bird's hatch dates, and pertinent info, like hen/roo, first date lay egg, sold or gave away date, etc. One for their medical info/issues. And one totally for plotting the food, coop needs, repairs, etc.

I'm getting into sex-linking this spring so have to get another one going to keep track of who is breeding with who and what results were. Here's some other ideas for category wording.
View attachment 3621787
may I get the link to where you got this from?

Care to share what your record keeping categories are? maybe why you find them relevant if its not super apparent. I am building up my covey and hope to keep a few separate bloodlines of each type of bird so that means lots of record keeping but I am not sure where to start aside from the basics of tracking who the parents are etc.

I have recently started the same project! I have been using excel and plan to track some of the topics others have mentioned. I'll list mine...
  • Where/Who I bought the hatching eggs from (to track genetics and reliable sellers)
    • I also plan on banding them with different color leg bands to keep records and mix hens / roosters to diversify genetics.
  • Incubation Date and Humidity %
  • Hatch Date
  • 6 week weight, 10 week weight, 16 week weight
  • Date they lay the first egg
  • Amount of eggs collected by week per breeding group
    • pens consist of 1 male : 3 females
  • Lastly, I will track any hens that lay celadon eggs and any physical traits because I am looking for mainly white plumage.

Back
Top Bottom