Recovering from a brain bleed-need advice

DDNONIN2016

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 27, 2012
SW Ohio
My best friend and the smartest man I know suffered a small brain bleed during the first week of September 2012. After a week in the hospital and a lot of crying and praying by me he was released. I was told something like this could take any number of uncertain turns. The area of his brain that was affected was at the base of his skull-the part that controls vision. Well at 5 months since the hospital stay he is doing remarkably well. Initally he could not read or tell time. Most letters he saw as some other letter althogether. He still has trouble reading a digital clock at times but can now read the newspaper headlines enough to have me read him the entire story, if it interests him, when I visit. Now for the part that I need help and advice (I have searched the internet - but not much info out there). He gets frustrated and almost angry at times. Mostly when I'm helping him with filling out utility bills. He can't handle the paperwork being shuffled around too fast. I have learned to do just one thing at a time so he doesnt get confused. I refuse to take anything he says personally. We will make it thru this.
Anyone know of resources for what the progress is to re-learn some of the things his memory lost? Like counting money or minutes on the clock or remembering details of a conversation he had earlier in the day? He remembers most everything from past before the bleed. But the short term memory is definitely not good.
Thanks for reading .... and if anyone can offer any help for my own frustration I would be forever thankful. Jan

I'm not sure of his attention level, but maybe something like playing dominoes, or hangman, or simple card games, just to work on his memory using letters and numbers.

Pete

Brains take a long time to heal. What advice have the doctors given him? Have you tried researching concussions? I had an infection on a nerve in my brain in October 2012 and I am still recovering. My short term memory has definitely been affected and I get frustrated easily - his brain was probably more compromised than mine. Make sure there is no other stimulation (background noise, music, even bright light) when trying to work on bills. He probably realizes that these are tasks he used to be able to do, but can't.

There are some forums for brain injury (I found one for my infection) - so maybe you can find an appropriate forum that might give you some more relevant feedback than a chicken forum...
You can start here...
http://www.tbirecovery.org/Overview.html
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=127909

Last edited:
When I had it happen I realized I had to change how I looked at life.
I never had any side effects besides the headaches which went away with time.

Get rid of the stress.
I stopped watching the news and reading newspaper because all they did was get me mad.
They are fear based so out the door they went.
That was a major part in lowering blood pressure.

Avoid stress of any kind.
We don't need it.

I read a lot and wanted to improve my memory so I started eating Ginkgo Biloba.
Ginkgo is also excellent for heavy metal detox like radiation.
It really does boast the brain.
I even went out and bought one and planted it in the front yard.

A close friend who got a head injury at work and almost died had the same issues you are referring to.
It took him many many years to get past the anger part of the healing.

I listen to http://oneradionetwork.com/ to find out whats happening in the alternative medical practices because over the year I have grown tired of dealing with modern man medicine.

My 2 cents, modern man medicine is good for trauma like car accidents, everything else they treat with a pill to deal with the symptoms and not get to the root of the issue.
I don't want your pill, i want results.

Good luck.

Thank you both.....he has the classic "good day" then what I call a "bad day" when he cant remember the most familiar things.

He asked his neuro what he was supposed to do and the reply he got was "Go out there and do what you have been doing all your life". After that I came home and searched and searched the internet but couldnt seem to find a lot about it other than nursing care of stroke patients.

It helps to know that this is going to take a little longer than I thought. I am so happy with the improvements so far that I get a little impatient when he has one of those "bad days". Terrifies me into thinking something is wrong again. He is never mean just gets frustrated because he doesnt understand things. Which in turn frustrates me because in the time it takes for me to explain things to him I could have the task done. But I do stop and explain because I think it helps him remember the next time.

Thanks for the links bluesub, headed there now to gain some more knowledge. I just knew someone on BYC could point me in the right direction :)

retlaw - thank you, that helps. He is 87 yrs old and basically all he has is his newspaper. He is a widower and lives alone. He is also a retired car mechanic and still works on cars at his repair shop which his son now manages.
As the days go by I am narrowing it down to "multiple steps" type things that start to get on his nerves. He is happy reading the newspaper or watching the news on tv. But when it comes to sorting thru multiple bills, removing them from the envelopes, putting a stamp and address label on the envelopes, writing the checks and then filing the bill stubs he is totally confused. I just try my best to NOT upset him at all. So frustrating :( Thank you all for all your help

You epitomize what the word 'friend' is supposed to mean! I commend you. I have dealt with one friend who had brain trauma/damage. The frustration of wanting to be 'better' immediately is common. My friend actually went to therapy to improve speech and motor skills. I wish your friend the best for continued healing.

I, too, had a dear friend with brain issues. We found that quiet time together, just the two of us, helped her concentrate. I also let her vent out her frustrations without trying to minimize her feelings or patronizing her, which was not always easy. You both get anxious and want things to be better now. You are a great friend for helping this man and for reaching out on his behalf. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Thank you chicknneighbor. Really helps to acutally hear from "byc friends" with actual experience. Like the research shows, doctors don't know that much about brain injuries. I have actually gotten more information, help and prayers since posting this on BYC than in the last 5 months! Soaking up your prayers-can never have enough of those :)

Back
Top Bottom