Recurring Bumblefoot (Graphic Pictures)

CurlyQuail

Songster
Jun 20, 2020
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Hi, all! One of my pet quail, Happy, has been battling bumblefoot for about a month now... I’ll take the plug out, remove anything foreign I can find, then clean her foot and wrap it up. It’ll start to look better and then a few days later suddenly start swelling again. Originally I had put her back outside after wrapping the foot but then I thought maybe something got in the open wound and was infected again, so she’s been inside the past two weeks with her sister so I can monitor her. I called our vet but they won’t be in town for another two weeks, so I figured I would ask on here to see if maybe I’m missing something or if there’s anything I can do to help her while we wait for the vet to come back. I’d hate to look for another vet because this one is affordable and most avian vets in LA specialize in exotic birds (aka super expensive just for a consultation).

I’ve dealt with bumblefoot in one of my other quail and once I took out what was causing the infection it healed very quickly, so I’m not sure why she’s having such a hard time:hmm

Attachments

• 7C0F4166-F300-42F7-8F65-99DA473BEBF9.jpeg
    7C0F4166-F300-42F7-8F65-99DA473BEBF9.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 145E93AE-2E64-4FF4-B639-6ED5163E3ADB.jpeg
    145E93AE-2E64-4FF4-B639-6ED5163E3ADB.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 12651857-10C0-475F-9FD9-E56376142660.jpeg
    12651857-10C0-475F-9FD9-E56376142660.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 91DECBDD-A83E-476E-9617-1B2C89BB8624.jpeg
    91DECBDD-A83E-476E-9617-1B2C89BB8624.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 692C3DD6-CB7E-4F34-84D7-782C7F9622D1.jpeg
    692C3DD6-CB7E-4F34-84D7-782C7F9622D1.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 50
Are you sure you're getting all the infection out?
What are you using to clean the foot and how are you wrapping it? Are you using ointment under the wrapping?
What type of bedding is she on - any way the wrappings are getting damp/soiled?

You may need to use something like Tricide Neo soaks to see if that will clear it up and keep her on puppy pads to help keep the feet dry. I believe @dawg53 has instructions for the Tricide Neo.

Hi, all! One of my pet quail, Happy, has been battling bumblefoot for about a month now... I’ll take the plug out, remove anything foreign I can find, then clean her foot and wrap it up. It’ll start to look better and then a few days later suddenly start swelling again. Originally I had put her back outside after wrapping the foot but then I thought maybe something got in the open wound and was infected again, so she’s been inside the past two weeks with her sister so I can monitor her. I called our vet but they won’t be in town for another two weeks, so I figured I would ask on here to see if maybe I’m missing something or if there’s anything I can do to help her while we wait for the vet to come back. I’d hate to look for another vet because this one is affordable and most avian vets in LA specialize in exotic birds (aka super expensive just for a consultation).

I’ve dealt with bumblefoot in one of my other quail and once I took out what was causing the infection it healed very quickly, so I’m not sure why she’s having such a hard time:hmm
I know, like, nothing about quail, but I am acquainted with bumblefoot. I found that environmental causes were making my chickens' bumblefoot recur. In my case, it was a high roost for big hens. Is there something like that that might be contributing? Bedding? Flooring? A rough perch (do quail use perches???)?

Poor Happy's feet don't look too happy... :(

I know, like, nothing about quail, but I am acquainted with bumblefoot. I found that environmental causes were making my chickens' bumblefoot recur. In my case, it was a high roost for big hens. Is there something like that that might be contributing? Bedding? Flooring? A rough perch (do quail use perches???)?

Poor Happy's feet don't look too happy... :(
She was in a pen on grass so unless there’s something unusual in the ground I doubt it’s the bedding. They don’t use perches per say but they’ve gone in a low bush before. It does have rough bark... I’m mostly confused because none of the other birds in her cage have gotten bumblefoot, even though they’ve had cuts and scrapes before. Are certain birds more susceptible?

I’m sorry you had to deal with that! Is there anything you would do differently if there was a “next time”?
I solved it for my birds by lowering ALL of my roosts. But I have no clue what's happening to Happy. Maybe some birds are more susceptible??? Or, as aforementioned, it might be that the infection isn't being removed entirely. I wonder if antibiotics are in order???

I wish I could help....

Last edited:
I solved it for my birds by lowering ALL of my roosts. But I have no clue what's happening to Happy. Maybe some birds are more susceptible??? Or, as aforementioned, it might be that the infection isn't being removed entirely. I wonder if antibiotics are in order???

I wish I could help....
I’m just hoping to keep her out of pain until the vet is back and then they can help...

Update!

I tookHappy to the vet today and she was very pleased with how one foot was looking, it’s nearly healed. I’m taking her back tomorrow for surgery on her other foot, but when we got home, her scab came off and a large chunk of what I think is the infection came off with it!

I’ve been using bentonite clay and ichthamol drawing salve and has massive success with both.

I’ll come back with another update after tomorrow’s surgery :)

Update!

I tookHappy to the vet today and she was very pleased with how one foot was looking, it’s nearly healed. I’m taking her back tomorrow for surgery on her other foot, but when we got home, her scab came off and a large chunk of what I think is the infection came off with it!

I’ve been using bentonite clay and ichthamol drawing salve and has massive success with both.

I’ll come back with another update after tomorrow’s surgery :)
Sounds good!
Where do you get the Bentonite Clay?

Tell us a bit more about how you are using both the clay and drawing salve - this will help others that are looking for treatment help. Do you mix the two or? Are you wrapping feet and changing daily or ??

I'm glad that her foot is healing well! It sounds like the other one is on it's way to healing too if the scab came off and kernel came along with it.

Please do keep us posted on how it goes. I'm interested in this treatment.

Back
Top Bottom