Recycled Counter Coop.. :-)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mybelle5, Jan 3, 2009.

1. mybelle5

mybelle5 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2008
    Memphis TN
    Fortunately for us .. Memphis is the dumping capital for junk.

When driving to a feed store to see if they had premade coops just to get an idea what they went for before we spent 100's of dollars making one.. I looked over and noticed a pile of junk laying in a parking lot.. I thought, dang this might work.. We threw the counter in the truck along with a ton of wood dumped too.. We did purchase the tin roofing, a few 2 x 4 for the run and some chicken wire. Everything else was recycled including the exterior paint.. I'm very happy and hopefully my new pullets I pick up next Saturday will be happy too.. I have to give all the credit to my dear hubby and my son.. They Rock!

2. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Looks great. I wish I could find treasures like that around here.
  3. toddy111

toddy111 Chillin' With My Peeps

wow this is kwl [​IMG]...... how long to make ?
  4. mybelle5

mybelle5 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2008
    Memphis TN
    It took them 2 Saturdays... [​IMG]
  5. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

awesome!! I thought about using a recycled counter for a rabbit hutch...
  6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Awesome [​IMG]

I love recycling. Here is my recycled duck hut and pen

(Ignore my hubby's sarcastic commentary. And we were still cleaning. darn city kid!)
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Very nice! [​IMG]
  8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    I had a counter top, no drawers or anything under, given to me from a friends store closing. Its about 3 1/2 feet high, elbow height. With some old screens and chicken wire I turned it into Chicken General Hospital with my roo was limping. I thinking it will work well for confinement if I get more chickens too or for chicks. Congrats, its all about what you can do with what you can find.

9. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    What a great idea, and a nice job! Should work out nice for you.
  10. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    That's cute I used my old kitchen cabnets in my coop building as well, to create a little door I can open to check the floor and water levels and fill them when needed. I love it. I can open it in the middle of night with out disturbing the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by