Red ants in the chicken coop?

operationindigo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 26, 2013
I was just outside changing water and filling feed and I noticed that there was a swarm of red ants underneath my chickens' feeder. I hosed them off and cleaned the feeder and water container. Normally I set the feeder and waterer on a wooden board because it helps keep the pine shavings out of the food/water by raising it up a bit. I lifted up the piece of wood and there were swarms and swarms of ants. They weren't there this morning! I tried to scoop them out and wash out the wood underneath. Is this dangerous for my chickens? How do I get rid of them? I have a small coop and run with two chickens.

what about sevin dust? i hated them things when i lived in fl. they hurt! and yes they will probably hurt the chickens as well.i remember my dad burning them

What's wrong with letting the chickens eat them? That's part of life's cycle. Unless the chickens are very young, they will eat the ants.

By the way, Sevin in the chicken coop is not a real good idea.

Last edited:
What's wrong with letting the chickens eat them? That's part of life's cycle. Unless the chickens are very young, they will eat the ants.

By the way, Sevin in the chicken coop is not a real good idea.
i have been using sevin dust for years with no ill effects. have you ever been swarmed with red ants/fire ants they can kill small humans

My concern is mostly just that they could swarm and bite the chickens. They were biting me when I tried to scoop/clean out all the ants. But will the go after the chickens? Or leave them alone?

Back
Top Bottom