Red Beak?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by featherz, May 13, 2010.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I have a little RIR that's about 10 days old. I call her 'rudy' as she's the only one I can tell apart from the others because she has a red beak. She's a tad bit smaller than the others but seems to be progressing at the same pace as far as feather development, etc, goes. Just out of curiousity, does the red beak mean anything like she had problems pecking out of the egg or is it just a normal variation? It looks a little 'bruised' in color but it hasn't changed at all and she's eating fine. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't tell from your photo for sure, but I think it's just a different colored beak. Just like some dogs have dark toenails, some light. I think she is a cutie though! [​IMG]

3. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    I am not positive, but my RIR has some red also...I think it is a color variation not an issue to be concerned about...IMO...I am still learning a LOT...

4. Mama&thePeeps

Mama&thePeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Tennessee
    I don't know about the beak, but she's adorable!

5. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I can't be sure since it's a bit young, but the comb development appears to indicate it may be a male. You'll know in one to two more weeks for sure.

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Really? That would suck. MPC would owe me another chick, but then I'd have to find a home for poor rudy (good gender neutral name [​IMG]. Unfortunately, I can't have a roo. [​IMG]

His/her comb looks the same as the others at the moment but I'll keep an eye on all of them. I was planning to post 'guess my gender' in a few weeks like everyone else so we shall see. [​IMG] I think MPC won't credit me until about 13 weeks and for sure we'll know by then!

7. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I don't think it means anything, just a color variation.

8. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Several of my RIR chicks look like that. They're healthy and happy. I think it's normal.[​IMG]

9. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Several of the RIR chicks I had before selling had red dots on their beaks. Normal, I suppose.

10. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    thanks all for the help!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by