red broiler?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bluefeather2697, Dec 22, 2011.

1. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    hi guys, i found a chick'n for sale in an online shop. it's called 'kabir' that's a dual purpose breed but used mostly in meat production. i'm interested about it but i can't find any info about this chook. is this closely related to red broilers?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THANKS! [​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Looks similar to the Red Rangers I got a couple years ago for meat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They're good eatin'. [​IMG]

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    idk but it looks like the one in question is a cockerel

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yep, those are red broilers. The one that's central in most of the pics is a rooster.

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
  6. bluefeather2697

Nov 9, 2011
    Quote:thanks 4 the pics! [​IMG] i have one question, do red broilers last longer than white? imean, white broilers are very prone to heart, respiratory and leg problems
    but how about this reds? i think they're very healthy in ur pic. one more, white broilers lays well if it reaches point of lay, do red broilers do the same? thanks again [​IMG]

Quote:thnks for the link, very helpful! [​IMG]

7. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:thanks 4 the pics! [​IMG] i have one question, do red broilers last longer than white? imean, white broilers are very prone to heart, respiratory and leg problems
    but how about this reds? i think they're very healthy in ur pic. one more, white broilers lays well if it reaches point of lay, do red broilers do the same? thanks again [​IMG]

I honestly have no idea. I had my birds processed at 15 weeks, and haven't gotten back into them yet, so don't know how long they can last nor how they lay. I also haven't had experience with the Whites (I believe White Broilers are the same as Cornish X's?). My Red Rangers didn't have many problems, and they were all healthy... One or two of the cockerels got quite large and had a waddling gait and didn't like to stand for a long time. But the females were just fine, and both are among the best chicken in my freezer. (I had Dixie Rainbows which are similar to Freedom Rangers, and Delawares as well.) Their weight may have been because I fed them about 2 gallons of fresh raw milk every day though (excess from our cow). Maybe if they weren't fed that, they wouldn't have been so heavy. [​IMG]

ETA the link to the place I ordered my meat birds from... http://www.sandgpoultry.com/ I was very pleased with the company and out of the 28 birds I ordered, 1 died in transit and 1 was a "runt" and didn't make it past 1 week.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  8. bluefeather2697

Nov 9, 2011

I honestly have no idea. I had my birds processed at 15 weeks, and haven't gotten back into them yet, so don't know how long they can last nor how they lay. I also haven't had experience with the Whites (I believe White Broilers are the same as Cornish X's?). My Red Rangers didn't have many problems, and they were all healthy... One or two of the cockerels got quite large and had a waddling gait and didn't like to stand for a long time. But the females were just fine, and both are among the best chicken in my freezer. (I had Dixie Rainbows which are similar to Freedom Rangers, and Delawares as well.) Their weight may have been because I fed them about 2 gallons of fresh raw milk every day though (excess from our cow). Maybe if they weren't fed that, they wouldn't have been so heavy. [​IMG]

ETA the link to the place I ordered my meat birds from... http://www.sandgpoultry.com/ I was very pleased with the company and out of the 28 birds I ordered, 1 died in transit and 1 was a "runt" and didn't make it past 1 week.

thanks again, i'll try to get some red rangers. i also love cows! [​IMG] but i've never had one. how's'she doing? what other animals do you have? [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:I honestly have no idea. I had my birds processed at 15 weeks, and haven't gotten back into them yet, so don't know how long they can last nor how they lay. I also haven't had experience with the Whites (I believe White Broilers are the same as Cornish X's?). My Red Rangers didn't have many problems, and they were all healthy... One or two of the cockerels got quite large and had a waddling gait and didn't like to stand for a long time. But the females were just fine, and both are among the best chicken in my freezer. (I had Dixie Rainbows which are similar to Freedom Rangers, and Delawares as well.) Their weight may have been because I fed them about 2 gallons of fresh raw milk every day though (excess from our cow). Maybe if they weren't fed that, they wouldn't have been so heavy. [​IMG]

thanks again, i'll try to get some red rangers. i also love cows! [​IMG] but i've never had one. how's'she doing? what other animals do you have? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Our cow is doing very well. We've had her for 1 1/2 years now. We bred her back in November and are really hoping she took, but she's a difficult cow to tell with. [​IMG] I have my 12 chickens, the cow and her 6 month steer, 2 Australian Shepherds, and 2 cats. We raised 2 pigs over the summer too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by