Red Cabbage

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jeremy, Jan 10, 2010.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I've got an extra head of red cabbage in my fridge that I though about hanging in the girls run for them to peck at, I just wanted to know if cabbage was okay for the hens to eat? I've been told that you shouldn't really feed them things from the brassica family?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just don't be surprised if they get gassy!

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

It was posted a few days back about feeding cabbage to chickens. It's O.K. but beware of chicken "gas".

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

They'll love cabbage. Be forewarned- I think purple cabbage will change their poop to neon blue or some color. It's normal but scary if you are not expecting it.

Imp

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  5. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I've fed green cabbage. I hung it on a string for them to play with. They really didn't care for it though.

6. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:What?!? Is that true, I'm guess it would be because of the color of the cabbage right? The natural dyes somehow changing their poo. L0L.

I just went outside and strung it up for them, I pulled a few leaves from the head to tempt them towards it but so far nobody seems to have taken the bait. [​IMG]

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:What?!? Is that true, I'm guess it would be because of the color of the cabbage right? The natural dyes somehow changing their poo. L0L.

I just went outside and strung it up for them, I pulled a few leaves from the head to tempt them towards it but so far nobody seems to have taken the bait. [​IMG]

I haven't experienced it personally, but it has been posted before.

It might take a while for them to go for a new food.

Imp- I'll go looking for blue poo info.

Here's a link https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=240186

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

My girls just love cabbage! Good thing, I've never experienced the "gassy" thing though. [​IMG] Too funny! Makes sense though. I'll be on the look out next time.

9. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Just don't cook it, your girls will be ok.

10. dtchick

dtchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2009
    I gave my ladies a head of cabbage in a net bag for Christmas. They pecked at it all day. They also like cauliflower and broccoli!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by