Red Cabbage

jeremy

CA Royal Blues
13 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Oakland, CA
I've got an extra head of red cabbage in my fridge that I though about hanging in the girls run for them to peck at, I just wanted to know if cabbage was okay for the hens to eat? I've been told that you shouldn't really feed them things from the brassica family?

They'll love cabbage. Be forewarned- I think purple cabbage will change their poop to neon blue or some color. It's normal but scary if you are not expecting it.

Imp

Last edited:
Quote:
What?!? Is that true, I'm guess it would be because of the color of the cabbage right? The natural dyes somehow changing their poo. L0L.

I just went outside and strung it up for them, I pulled a few leaves from the head to tempt them towards it but so far nobody seems to have taken the bait.
hu.gif

Quote:
What?!? Is that true, I'm guess it would be because of the color of the cabbage right? The natural dyes somehow changing their poo. L0L.

I just went outside and strung it up for them, I pulled a few leaves from the head to tempt them towards it but so far nobody seems to have taken the bait.
hu.gif

I haven't experienced it personally, but it has been posted before.

It might take a while for them to go for a new food.

Imp- I'll go looking for blue poo info.

Here's a link https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=240186

Last edited:
I gave my ladies a head of cabbage in a net bag for Christmas. They pecked at it all day. They also like cauliflower and broccoli!

Back
Top Bottom