Red Caps?

KatyTheChickenLady

Bird of A Different Feather
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Boise, Idaho
After reading about this standard sized breed I would like to try some. I can not find much info on here about them. Please tell me what you know and any good sources.
Thanks!!!

I had some many, many years ago. They're beautiful birds but now are pretty hard to find. The last time I saw any was at the APA/ABA National in Columbus Ohio in 1997.
The last time I saw a good one was 40+ years ago. Some of the hatcheries have them but I wouldn't expect much. They would make a great long term project for someone.

I think Sandhill has them? I doubt they would do very well in really cold weather though. I tried buttercups and that didn't work, either.
sad.png

Yes Sand Hill and Mac Murray have them. Sand Hill sounds like the better option for this breed but they only hatch 5 at a time and you must order 25 chicks - something I wasn't quite prepared to do. But if I must . . . I was just hoping that somebody, would know somebody, who would . . . Now I got my heart set, my husband says just get 25 chicks but boy that sounds like a lot of work when they hit around 5 weeks old. BUT I WANT THEM!

Thanks, didn't realize that my location wasn't listed - fixed it! I realize I could split the order, I just wanted it to be easy . . . I am such a whiner about it today, I settled on this breed last night and waited until this morning with the intention of hopping on the "net" and getting what I wanted. Sigh . . . This sounds like such a nice breed I don't see why it is so rare.

I had a half a dozen redcaps around 5 years ago, from McMurrays. Since I had to get 25 chicks, I ordered a bunch of other breeds and decided to try the redcaps because they were unusual.

They are a nice breed. The combs are just wacky, more so on the roos. One thing I observed about redcaps is that they are a bit flighty and panic easily, so if you don't like startled chickens squawking and flapping when you have to round them up for their annual blood test, etc., then you might find them a challenge to work with. They also will not set so you have to incubate redcap eggs.

Other than that they are quite nice. They're a medium-to-smallish bird, the eggs are off-white and not very big. Because they are rare, it would be good if more people got intrigued and wanted to try them. I eventually sold mine because I was working with Nankins - another rare breed - and didn't think it was right to keep the redcaps when I couldn't give them more specialized attention.

I recently ordered Red Caps from Sand Hill and they sent me two different bloodlines. I am excited to see how they turn out. I have ordered from McMurray in the past but didn't have the best luck with their Red Caps. I only have one hen left from that bunch(ordered 5/2011). They have all been quite flighty as chicks, but as they mature they become more docile. I hope to start my own flock. Sand Hill alludes to having Red Caps that are larger than most....

I have 2 red caps there r great hens but they lay every outher day but mine r very friendly once you catch them lol

Back
Top Bottom