red chapped looking feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newchicks, Oct 13, 2009.

1. newchicks

newchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    One of my hens has red chapped looking feet and legs. It started last week and while I was gone over the weekend it crept up her legs. What could it be and how can I help her?[​IMG]

2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    A photo would be helpful. If your weather is cold or wet- you could be looking at weather exposure- doing your best to provide a dry and warm place to perch & get out of the weather is good. Scaly leg mite will make the scales flaky and lifted & sometimes reddish skin, and later on the whole leg looks thick. Feather footed breeds always have somewhat irritated looking skin around their foot feathers. Roosters get reddish feet and shanks as they mature... breed, age? Others ok? What does the set up look like? Any wounds or blood?

3. newchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    She is a two yr. old Rhode Island Red. I only have 2 hens. They have a whole horse stall, with hay and straw for their laying boxes. Fresh pine shavings just 2 weeks ago. I'm in Kansas so it's been unusualy chilly and damp, but the have a luxury coop which is always clean and dry. They have 2 roosts one is wooden the other is a metal cattle panel, covered in carpet. Their enviroment has been the same since they came. They were probably 4 month old orphans, so I have no other history. The other hen is fine... I forgot, about 3 weeks ago someone thought they were being cute and they put a rooster in the barn with the girls, I had no idea where he came from and no one admitted to it. Could he have brought something with him. He ended up in a friends soup pot!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I would try to smother her legs with vaseline..
    it wont hurt the dry skin..
    AND if its leg mites it will smother and kill them also. (i think..)

5. newchicks

Sep 13, 2008
    KANSAS
    Thanks, that's along what I was thinking too. Do you think they hurt her? I just wish I know why it happened, they're such happy girls, and their free range and wander all over, come to the back door for treats etc. Maybe a grass or weed from the pasture has irritated her? Again thank you:D

6. tinyfeet

tinyfeet New Egg

Feb 20, 2016
    Did the vaseline help? My Rhode Island Red hen has the same issue. Just noticed it today.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Can you post a picture of the legs, and give a little more jnformation? What type of weather and coop conditions have you been having?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by