Red Dominique Chickens - Anyone ever heard of ?

if ur friend or anyone has some for sale plz let me know I think it would be fun to raise these as they seem to have great deep red to them. love reds

I have one of the Red Dominiques Lee is talking about. I purchased her from my sister who lives in Atlanta and who had bought her from Lee. Everything he says is true! Very friendly, eats out of our hands, never picks a fight... I would like to have more of these awesome chickens. GREAT job Lee!!!

Hi guys . Just to let everyone know. We aré Getting ready for the up comming Newnan, Ga. Poultry show thats in February. We plan on having quite a few pairs and trios of the
Red Dominiques along with some other breeds as Well

Hi guys . Just to let everyone know. We aré Getting ready for the up comming Newnan, Ga. Poultry show thats in February. We plan on having quite a few pairs and trios of the
Red Dominiques along with some other breeds as Well

I had a few F2 hybrid American Dominique x American Game (brown-breasted brown red) that looked very similar to your red Dominiques. Type of some of my birds was close to proper but size was low. Such chicks hatched yellow since did not carry a single extended black allele.

Your birds look like they have a heavier / courser breed than American Dominique mixed in. Type and color pattern that barring is played out on suggest something like Rhode Island Red, Ohio Buckeye, or BBR Marans.

According to the APA and ABA there is no such thing as a Red Dominique, and if those with Dominiques have anything to say about it, there never will be. Dominiques are America's oldest breed - and any red or brown on a bird is a disqualification, period. Call your project birds whatever you wish, as long as the name doesn't include "Dominique." Many breeds have arisen from crosses of Dominiques on other birds - but the crosses became new breeds as the Dominique is named for its Dominecker pattern and color and has other distinctive features. This topic came up on the DCA Facebook page; and people there considered the "Red Dominique" to be a fraudulent attempt to sell "project birds" or even "barnyard mixes" as a non-existent rare breed. Not one of the leading experts of the breed, including those who learned from now long gone old-times, had ever heard of a Red Dominique.

There are no Red Dominiques. Ever. Period. Never existed, never will. Your birds might have red barring and rose combs, but the are by no means Dominiques. I don't know what show would let you show those, but it isn't the real thing.

There are no Red Dominiques. Ever. Period. Never existed, never will. Your birds might have red barring and rose combs, but the are by no means Dominiques. I don't know what show would let you show those, but it isn't the real thing.
If my understanding of the literature is correct; the American Dominque was prior to infusion of Black Java; lacking in the black base coloration, had white skin and legs, and could have a rose or straight come. They were also less dumpy in profile as they retained more of the gamefowl look that was part of their makeup. About half of my Missouri Dominiques (combination of American Dominique and American Game) have yellowish-gray or brown down at hatch where they can still be sexed by appearance of spot on head. When they grow up, the hens are very similar to American Dominiques except a little longer in the legs and they have slightly less contrast in the barring.

If my understanding of the literature is correct; the American Dominque was prior to infusion of Black Java; lacking in the black base coloration, had white skin and legs, and could have a rose or straight come. They were also less dumpy in profile as they retained more of the gamefowl look that was part of their makeup. About half of my Missouri Dominiques (combination of American Dominique and American Game) have yellowish-gray or brown down at hatch where they can still be sexed by appearance of spot on head. When they grow up, the hens are very similar to American Dominiques except a little longer in the legs and they have slightly less contrast in the barring.
Hmm. Were they ever APA recognized?

Back
Top Bottom