Red Eggs?

shastagoose

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 12, 2008
Hi all, I was looking at someones post, and I saw a red egg mixed in with the others, does anyone know what layes a red egg? Just curious...
fl.gif

I can't think of any red egg layers, either. Some may lay a pink tinted egg. Our Silver Lakenvelder lays a white egg with a pink tint and we have a Partridge Plymouth Rock (brown egg layer) that lays a brown egg with a mauve tint. It could have been the picture quality that made the egg look red. It could have been a dark brown. Like was already mentioned, the Marans lay a dark brown egg. It is sometimes called chocolate brown. Welsummers do too.

Last edited:
It may have been a terra-cotta type color, which a number of the brown egg laying breeds can give you, especially if the color of the photo was influenced by objects reflecting light around the eggs or was not entirely faithful to the real color.

My ISA Browns actually lay some very flowerpot-colored eggs sometimes
tongue.png

Pat

Greek Easter eggs are traditionally died red. From Wikipedia:

Traditionally, Orthodox Easter eggs are dyed red to represent the blood of Christ, shed on the Cross, and the hard shell of the egg symbolized the sealed Tomb of Christ—the cracking of which symbolized his resurrection from the dead.

A Christian Orthodox tradition is the presenting of red colored eggs to friends while giving the Paschal greeting: "Christ is Risen!" to which the one greeted responds: "Indeed, He is Risen!" The Orthodox tradition holds that the custom derives from a Christian myth about Mary Magdalene and her role in spreading the Gospel. According to this tradition, after the Ascension of Jesus, Mary went to the Emperor of Rome and greeted him with “Christ has risen,” whereupon he pointed to an egg on his table and stated, “Christ has no more risen than that egg is red.” After making this statement it is said the egg immediately turned blood red. She then began preaching Christianity to him.​

Back
Top Bottom