Red Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shastagoose, Jul 31, 2008.

1. shastagoose

shastagoose Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    Hi all, I was looking at someones post, and I saw a red egg mixed in with the others, does anyone know what layes a red egg? Just curious...[​IMG]

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Don't know of any red eggs...but maybe it was a very dark brown looking? Those are laid by Marans...they lay the darkest colored brown eggs.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    I can't think of any red egg layers, either. Some may lay a pink tinted egg. Our Silver Lakenvelder lays a white egg with a pink tint and we have a Partridge Plymouth Rock (brown egg layer) that lays a brown egg with a mauve tint. It could have been the picture quality that made the egg look red. It could have been a dark brown. Like was already mentioned, the Marans lay a dark brown egg. It is sometimes called chocolate brown. Welsummers do too.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It may have been a terra-cotta type color, which a number of the brown egg laying breeds can give you, especially if the color of the photo was influenced by objects reflecting light around the eggs or was not entirely faithful to the real color.

My ISA Browns actually lay some very flowerpot-colored eggs sometimes [​IMG]

Pat

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Someone recently posted a pic of her hen's egg that had blood on it. Only red egg I've seen here.

Title "OUCH"

6. utahmethodist

utahmethodist Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    SLC, UT
    Greek Easter eggs are traditionally died red. From Wikipedia:

Traditionally, Orthodox Easter eggs are dyed red to represent the blood of Christ, shed on the Cross, and the hard shell of the egg symbolized the sealed Tomb of Christ—the cracking of which symbolized his resurrection from the dead.

A Christian Orthodox tradition is the presenting of red colored eggs to friends while giving the Paschal greeting: "Christ is Risen!" to which the one greeted responds: "Indeed, He is Risen!" The Orthodox tradition holds that the custom derives from a Christian myth about Mary Magdalene and her role in spreading the Gospel. According to this tradition, after the Ascension of Jesus, Mary went to the Emperor of Rome and greeted him with “Christ has risen,” whereupon he pointed to an egg on his table and stated, “Christ has no more risen than that egg is red.” After making this statement it is said the egg immediately turned blood red. She then began preaching Christianity to him.​

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by