Red eyes?

Panhandle chick

Songster
Apr 23, 2020
North Idaho
So- I have a refugee that joined my flock and I don’t know when.. sometime in last few days. Poor girl looks awful and I think her eyes are damaged. I noticed her this morning when watering the flock- she’s drinking water and eating but very slow. Pictures below. I gave it nutradrench, and rinsed eyes with colodial silver. Should I wait and see or cull? My flock looks healthy and vibrant. Thanks in advance for thoughts and insight

Attachments

• 84DFEBCE-C28C-40CA-953B-01E4B2DC2612.jpeg
    84DFEBCE-C28C-40CA-953B-01E4B2DC2612.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 17719D82-84E3-4ACF-A5DD-107ABF2DD958.jpeg
    17719D82-84E3-4ACF-A5DD-107ABF2DD958.jpeg
    563.9 KB · Views: 2
So- I have a refugee that joined my flock and I don’t know when.. sometime in last few days. Poor girl looks awful and I think her eyes are damaged. I noticed her this morning when watering the flock- she’s drinking water and eating but very slow. Pictures below. I gave it nutradrench, and rinsed eyes with colodial silver. Should I wait and see or cull? My flock looks healthy and vibrant. Thanks in advance for thoughts and insight
How long have you had her?

Your title says red eyes. Are you concerned about a bit of facial swelling or the color of her eyes?
Look her over for lice/mites. See that her crop is emptying overnight.
If you feel she has swelling of the eyes, then flush them with saline and apply a little Terramycin eye ointment in the eyes.

Hard to tell what's going on with her, if she's sick, is a bit off because of being displaced, is just old or what.

How long have you had her?

Your title says red eyes. Are you concerned about a bit of facial swelling or the color of her eyes?
Look her over for lice/mites. See that her crop is emptying overnight.
If you feel she has swelling of the eyes, then flush them with saline and apply a little Terramycin eye ointment in the eyes.

Hard to tell what's going on with her, if she's sick, is a bit off because of being displaced, is just old or what.
Thank you for responding. Her eyes look red but not natural- so that freaked me out. I will check her for lice. I think she made her way in to my flock from neighbors but not sure who. She could be old though and it’s very cold here in North Idaho.

Just in case it's conjunctivitis (pink eye), run tepid (barely warm) water into a small cup, or bowl stir the water gently, while adding regular table salt. Keep doing this, until the salt no longer dissolves, and there are a few salt granules in the bottom. Take a cotton ball, and soak it in the salty water solution, then apply it to the eyes. Do this 2-3 times a day for 5 days. Mix fresh salt solution every day.

Back
Top Bottom